Please help ID, new reef tank

Andy777bmx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Everyone,

I picked up a biocube14 off craigstlist and I'm trying to ID the following corals (images 1-4). Any help would be greatly appreciated. I believe image 2 is a candy coral but that was all I was able to identify through browsing images on the net. Thanks again
IMG_3953.jpg

IMG_3954.jpg

IMG_3957.jpg

IMG_3955.jpg

LBehr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1 looks like a small nem and a ricordea yuma.
2 is a candy cane also known as a trumpet
3 is an aptasia(bad) on top and a shroom on bottom looks like rhodactis maybe a bigger discosoma
4 looks like an acan that may need more light

GHsaltie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Image #1 looks to be a rose bubble tip anemone up top and a mushroom.
Image #2 yes candy cane aka trumpet
Image #3 aiptasia (you'll want to get rid of this asap) and some green mushrooms
Image #4 acans, nice piece can't go wrong with those guys.

OP
OP
A

Andy777bmx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks you guys for the quick reply, I'll pull out the aiptasia pronto. I have some green algae growing but seems to be going away with snails/crabs, less feeding and bi-weekly 30% water changes. Only other thing in the tank is a single clownfish.

For the acans, is it ok for him to be sitting out in the sand alone like that or should I move him towards a rock?

GHsaltie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do not pull the aiptasia out! If even a smidget of flesh is left it can reproduce and if stressed/irritated it can release spores. You can get something like Aiptasia-X, squirt with kalk paste, disturb it to retreat then super over the rock (not a sure fire way IMO). I've also heard that you can squirt it with boiling water or lime water.
For the acan they are a pretty easy coral. Mine like it out on the sand bed out of direct light but with decent flow. Mine love to be spot fed every couple of days, they will eat most anything, mysis, brine, flake/pellet. Yours just need a little bit of tlc and look to be hungry.

OP
OP
A

Andy777bmx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks yeah I was reading up on them and went ahead and used a syringe with a plastic tube to try the boiling water. Hopefully that will work for it.
I'll try spot feeding the acan to see if he starts to get looking better. Thanks again for the tips.

A Toadstool Leather

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The third pic are rhodactis shrooms that look really bleached. I would feed them to help revovery

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 40 47.6%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 19 22.6%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 19 22.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 7.1%
Back