OP
OP
duesmortem

duesmortem

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No that unit is not suitable for dinos. Green Killing machines have a poor record in treating dinos, likely due to their built in pump with too high a flow rate. One thing that everyone has to realize is that manufacturer's recommendations for size and flow are MEANINGLESS for dinos. They have not designed or even thought of using them for this application.....so you can't go by what size the package says it's good for.

You can give it a go but I'm afraid it will be a waste of money and time.

What kits were used for your parameter testing? Magnesium is really low. Is nitrate 1 or 0.1?.....both are too low with dinos (5-10 is the best goal for NO3). PO4 is fine if you get your NO3 up to around 10. Brightwell makes a good supplement to raise NO3.
I use Hanna testers for alkalinity and phosphates. But my LFS runs a spin test for all the parameters on the previous photo

I will look into Brightwell to increase the NO3 levels

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Very light case of dino. UV will help with future dino. Keep it simple for now.
Prepare by starting with a water change and blow this stuff loose with a turkey baster and siphon up loose particles.
Turn lights off (at least white and run blue at 10-15% IF you have light dependant corals) for 5 days and at night dose 1ml of 3% hydrogen peroxide per 10 gallons for all 5 nights. If you dont have light dependent coral- turn all lights off.
During the day dose 1ml of liquid bacteria (such as bacter 7 or XLM) per 10 gallons.
Clean filters daily and DO NOT FEED CORAL FOODS OR ADD NOPOX as it is food for dinos.
Day 5,, you can start with blue lights - ramping up and work your white lights up slowly

OP
OP
duesmortem

duesmortem

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very light case of dino. UV will help with future dino. Keep it simple for now.
Prepare by starting with a water change and blow this stuff loose with a turkey baster and siphon up loose particles.
Turn lights off (at least white and run blue at 10-15% IF you have light dependant corals) for 5 days and at night dose 1ml of 3% hydrogen peroxide per 10 gallons for all 5 nights. If you dont have light dependent coral- turn all lights off.
During the day dose 1ml of liquid bacteria (such as bacter 7 or XLM) per 10 gallons.
Clean filters daily and DO NOT FEED CORAL FOODS OR ADD NOPOX as it is food for dinos.
Day 5,, you can start with blue lights - ramping up and work your white lights up slowly
That sounds very reasonable. Goes along with everything I've read so far today about dinos. Will this help kill off all the dinos even if they are ostreopsis?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
That sounds very reasonable. Goes along with everything I've read so far today about dinos. Will this help kill off all the dinos even if they are ostreopsis?
Yes

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not do a black out or greatly reduce light schedule. This can cause ostreopsis to encyst. It doesn't help get rid of them. The Coralife unit will be ok but you don't need a bucket. You put your pump in your display and plumb it to the UV unit.

There's also no reason to take the risk of H2O2 if you are going to use UV. UV is very effective and very quick with ostreopsis if done correctly.

OP
OP
duesmortem

duesmortem

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not do a black out or greatly reduce light schedule. This can cause ostreopsis to encyst. It doesn't help get rid of them. The Coralife unit will be ok but you don't need a bucket. You put your pump in your display and plumb it to the UV unit.

There's also no reason to take the risk of H2O2 if you are going to use UV. UV is very effective and very quick with ostreopsis if done correctly.
Ordered the UV and a small pump that'll fit in my display. Should have it set up by tomorrow night. I'll keep the thread updated!

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ordered the UV and a small pump that'll fit in my display. Should have it set up by tomorrow night. I'll keep the thread updated!

Good luck! It's always a challenge with tanks this size as UV units and pumps aren't manufactured that fit this situation. Hopefully it will work out. I wish you were close as I have a 15 watt Aqua UV unit that would have been great for this situation and would have loaned it to you.

OP
OP
duesmortem

duesmortem

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello thread viewers!

It has been a rocky weekend trying to get this pump and UV sterilizer. I was finally able to set up both units today in my tank.

20220321_171239.jpg

As you can see there is a lot of nuisance algae and bacteria in my water column and sand bed. Hopefully this UV light will help eliminate a ton of undesirables in the tank. I am planning on running this pump and light for the whole week to try to co pletely eradicate the ostreopsis. I will keep everyone posted!

OP
OP
duesmortem

duesmortem

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20220326_192422.jpg

The final update is here!!! Today I took out the UV sterilizer after not seeing any signs of dinos for two days. I ran the light for a total of 5 days and it really did wonders. My BTA no longer shows any signs of stress. All my corals are opening up with no problems.

As you can see from the photo I am still battling diatoms and some bubble algae. But since the dinos are gone, I will now add in some specialized clean up crew members to tackle these issues.

Thank you to everyone who contributed to this discussion!

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 42 32.3%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 34 26.2%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 27 20.8%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 26 20.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%

Back