Please help me add diversity

Afkomjorgen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to upgrade the food I feed to my fish this year. Please help me add diversity to their diet
We had our first fish loss this year, and has me worrying about nutrition.

Fish :
2 occelaris clowns (4+ yrs old)
1 orchid dottyback
1 yellow watchman goby
1 cleaner shrimp
2 Turbo snails
2 Elephant slugs
snails, nassarius snails, hermits and other snails

tank size 48 gal w/ 14 gal sump
Corals - soft, leathers, lps

food we have now:
Selcon ( 3-4 drops soaked with food )
Hakuri Frozen Mysis shrimp, Spiralina enriched mysis shrimp, coral gumbo and mega marine algae.
Benepets benereef powder
Nori

1x every 2 days I give 1/2 block of the mysis shrimp (rotated) and1/2 a block of either the coral gumbo or marine algae:
1x every week a pinch of benereef powder
1x a week I give 1/2 a flake of nori sheet

please let me know how I can do better for my fish!

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed invertebrates & fish with both live mussels from seafood market and live phytoplankton that I grow. Live gut cavity bacteria from bivalve will enhance fish immune system. Heathy gut cavity bacteria in fish is best protection with healthy immune system. Starting from the bottom of the food chain, the live phytoplankton will feed the microbial loop which is feed by healthy bacteria.

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you really want to add diversity, start with some diver collected live sand and live rock. This brings in diversity of micro fauna & fana. Detrivores in sandbed process inorganic & organic nutrients into live food that feeds hungry mouths via the microbial loop. When this ecosystem matures it becomes much easier. I looked for your tank thread to understand your system and your experience level, so I could be better informed to be specific to your system.

what you described is similar to my high nutrient Caribbean lagoons, except I have many more filter feeders like sponges, flame scallops and sea apples.

Consider turning your 14G sump into a cryptic refugium with mud filter.

image.jpg

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You only feed your fish every 2 days, a half cube? Seems like very little to me, I like feeding my fish, I feed twice a day, every day.

Personally, I buy every kind of food from the store that I see, I usually have about 10 different kinds of food at home, that I rotate so they get something different every day.

OP
OP
Afkomjorgen

Afkomjorgen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed invertebrates & fish with both live mussels from seafood market and live phytoplankton that I grow. Live gut cavity bacteria from bivalve will enhance fish immune system. Heathy gut cavity bacteria in fish is best protection with healthy immune system. Starting from the bottom of the food chain, the live phytoplankton will feed the microbial loop which is feed by healthy bacteria.
When you say live mussels, are you cutting these into small pieces for the fish?
If you really want to add diversity, start with some diver collected live sand and live rock. This brings in diversity of micro fauna & fana. Detrivores in sandbed process inorganic & organic nutrients into live food that feeds hungry mouths via the microbial loop. When this ecosystem matures it becomes much easier. I looked for your tank thread to understand your system and your experience level, so I could be better informed to be specific to your system.

what you described is similar to my high nutrient Caribbean lagoons, except I have many more filter feeders like sponges, flame scallops and sea apples.

Consider turning your 14G sump into a cryptic refugium with mud filter.

image.jpg
The cryptic sump idea is really cool! I’m no good at growing chaeto anyways so that could be a better option for the sump.
some questions; if I started this in an individual tank or container to see how it goes (and qt for any potentially dangerous hitchhikers) can the water from the separate tank be used to seed the DT with the water and slowly transfer the rest of the cryptic sump into the main sump ? Are there unpleasant hitchhikers like flatworms etc ( I like most hitchhikers like worms, asterinas, anemones ) that could be transferred to the DT via just a water change that I would need to worry about?
Am I reading this right, that you only feed the fish every other day? I feed three times a day.
You only feed your fish every 2 days, a half cube? Seems like very little to me, I like feeding my fish, I feed twice a day, every day.

Personally, I buy every kind of food from the store that I see, I usually have about 10 different kinds of food at home, that I rotate so they get something different every day.
I should have typed that as, 1/2 of a mysis and either 1/2 of an another mysis or a Coral gumbo every 2 days. But yes I do, but we just had a whelk decimate nearly our entire CUC system so we don’t have much of a clean up crew.
I’m also learning more about high nitrate tanks that are ok ( not needing to keep them so low) and I had historically limited feedings to try and keep nitrates down.
I will feed more often if recommended

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 14.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 21 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 75 56.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%
Back