Please help me fix my ato siphoning problem.

Afrashz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, so I’m having an issue with my ato setup that when the pump shuts off, the water continues from the resevoir into the sump. Below I attached pictures. The red circle depicts the “anti-siphon valve” while the Blue circle shows the outlet of the ato hose. It’s hard to see in the pic but the end of the hose is a few inches above the water. To the left is the reservoir with the ato pump. Please what can I do to stop this siphoning problem?!?! Thanks :)

1DD3C34F-912D-4F6F-8BBD-6C76CE6C360A.jpeg A66D24F1-9405-4004-8F72-9252114CA0A1.jpeg

Marc2952

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its siphoning because the water level of the container is higher then the sump water level. I suggest getting an ATO container that is a bit wider but lower then the sump water level. And about the anti siphon valve maybe its not good?

IamJoHo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its siphoning because the water level of the container is higher then the sump water level. I suggest getting an ATO container that is a bit wider but lower then the sump water level. And about the anti siphon valve maybe its not good?
Yep and the antisiphon valve is probably a 1 way valve meant to not siphon back into the ato container from your sump.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can also take your line and drill a small hole right before it leaves the reservoir. That way when the pump turns off, air gets into the system and breaks the siphon. A little water is pumped back into the reservoir, but better than your entire ato draining into the sump :) Tha'ts what I did with mine :)

OP
OP
Afrashz

Afrashz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can also take your line and drill a small hole right before it leaves the reservoir. That way when the pump turns off, air gets into the system and breaks the siphon. A little water is pumped back into the reservoir, but better than your entire ato draining into the sump :) Tha'ts what I did with mine :)
I will try this thanks Crabs. How big of a hole?

OP
OP
Afrashz

Afrashz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish I could unfortunately the space next to my sump is very narrow, thus I had to go for this option. Thanks though man!!

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will try this thanks Crabs. How big of a hole?
You may have to do a couple tests, I went with I think 1/8" drill bit and it worked out well. But best to start small and go bigger as needed.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
My ato container is on the same level as my sump and most of the time the water level is higher in the ato container than the sump.
When I set my top off system up I used a aqualifer pump because it is external and I can mount it 10" or so above the top off container and sump wall.
The height is what stops the siphon from continuing after the pump shuts off.

IamJoHo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wonder if I could just flip it
I think if you did this it would block the water from the pump. I would just raise the tube to as close to the top of the sump as possible which would bring it closer to the top of the ato container and probably wouldnt continue to siphon. If it still does you could also raise it above the sump. Just attach it to the top of the stand and make sure it is pointed straight down. Obviously you would hear it but it should be running to often.

OP
OP
Afrashz

Afrashz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which way is the siphon break facing? those smartATO ones are directional and the arrow needs to point from the ato to the sump.
That’s the way it’s currently pointing

Potatohead

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Put a section of pipe with about 1" ID in the sump vertically. Maybe drill some holes in the pipe in the section that is under water. Make sure it's about 3-4" taller than your ATO reservoir. Put the ATO line about 1-2" into that pipe.

OP
OP
Afrashz

Afrashz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the help everyone a lot of solutions to an annoying problem

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 38 32.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back