Please help me fix my ato siphoning problem.

Copingwithpods

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like that diagram above add a longer hose that goes up then down, this alone would fix the issue. Also move your syphon break just above your water line in the resevior, you don't have to drill a hole that's what the syphon break is for.
Capture+_2020-05-28-10-58-50.png

sharpimage

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
zip tie the end of the hose to the ball valve area. well out of the water and higher than the ato waterline.

FYI, having a longer tube that stretches up and down will not solve the problem. The line could go 10 feet high and if the outlet is below the inlet water line, it will syphon.

Albertan22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like that diagram above add a longer hose that goes up then down, this alone would fix the issue. Also move your syphon break just above your water line in the resevior, you don't have to drill a hole that's what the syphon break is for.
Capture+_2020-05-28-10-58-50.png
This isn’t correct. Running the tube up high won’t solve anything as long as the outlet of the tube is below the water level of the tank. This is why siphoning water out of our aquariums works.

Copingwithpods

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This isn’t correct. Running the tube up high won’t solve anything as long as the outlet of the tube is below the water level of the tank. This is why siphoning water out of our aquariums works.
My tank is 4 ft above my ato, I could stick my ato line in the displays water and it wouldn't syphon anything because of the syphon break. You could have a 5ft long hose, 3 feet going up and 2 feet going down and it will not syphon because there is more water pushing back into the resevior than there is pulling it out.

That's why I recommend what I did, first and foremost install syphon break correctly, second raise the line essentially having the water climb more distance than it has to fall. You could scale that to raise 2 feet and fall one or how ever you'd like.

Albertan22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is 4 ft above my ato, I could stick my ato line in the displays water and it wouldn't syphon anything because of the syphon break. You could have a 5ft long hose, 3 feet going up and 2 feet going down and it will not syphon because there is more water pushing back into the resevior than there is pulling it out.

That's why I recommend what I did, first and foremost install syphon break correctly, second raise the line essentially having the water climb more distance than it has to fall. You could scale that to raise 2 feet and fall one or how ever you'd like.
I’m sorry but the science about what you are saying is flat out wrong. It’s the siphon break that is solving your issue. You could run your hose up to the roof of your house and back down to your sump and without the siphon break the water would keep flowing. Having water weight more on one side of the hose than the other doesn’t break a siphon.

Copingwithpods

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m sorry but the science about what you are saying is flat out wrong. It’s the siphon break that is solving your issue. You could run your hose up to the roof of your house and back down to your sump and without the siphon break the water would keep flowing. Having water weight more on one side of the hose than the other doesn’t break a siphon.

If I'm wrong that's OK we learn everyday, although I don't believe I am, I believe this is an explination and communication error.

Bryknicks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Move the anti-siphon into the top of the ATO container vertically. This will solve your issues. I had the same problem when using a 25 gallon barrel for my ATO container that was taller than the sump water level.

jeffchapok

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's how I stopped mine from doing the same thing.

The black hose is from my ATO pump. It's loosely inserted into the PVC which then runs into the sump. It's not sealed so it won't siphon.

IMG_20200528_144837158.jpg

Albertan22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

If I'm wrong that's OK we learn everyday, although I don't believe I am, I believe this is an explination and communication error.

This guy’s discussion about weight in the siphon tube is flawed. It doesn’t explain why when he set the cups on an even surface they equilibrated. The weight of the water in the tube would have been equal in that instance. I can tell you from experience that without a siphon break the length of the hose on one side or the other of the peak won’t make a difference. My ATO container is about 4 feet horizontally from the end of my ATO output. I ran the line from my ATO and zip tied it to my return piping, it then ran down to just above the water level. So I had a diagonal, uphill run of about 4 feet followed by about a 1.5 foot vertical drop. Once the pump kicked on my ATO reservoir siphoned down to the height of the ATO hose. I had to create an air gap near the peak of my climb to stop the siphon.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Correct ….. use an air gap …. like you have on those RO kitchen faucets. Looping a sealed line up won't help as long as there is a level difference between the two ends.

OP
OP
Afrashz

Afrashz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At the end of the day if I drill a hole in the tube right before it leaves the ato reservoir is the problem solved? This has been mentioned above and seems like the easiest solution.

Jonify

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For ATOs, the simplest way to avoid continued siphoning into your sump, or reverse syphoning back into your ATO, is to make sure 1) the tip of your output hose is higher than the water line of your ATO container at it's fullest point, and 2) the tip of your output hose is not submerged in your sump water at any point. Poking holes in your ATO tubing can work, but lots of variables there if the hole isn't big enough or at the top of the line versus the bottom of the line ... and water may spray all around your sump regardless, so I'd stay away from poking any holes in those lines.

OP
OP
Afrashz

Afrashz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For ATOs, the simplest way to avoid continued siphoning into your sump, or reverse syphoning back into your ATO, is to make sure 1) the tip of your output hose is higher than the water line of your ATO container at it's fullest point, and 2) the tip of your output hose is not submerged in your sump water at any point. Poking holes in your ATO tubing can work, but lots of variables there if the hole isn't big enough or at the top of the line versus the bottom of the line ... and water may spray all around your sump regardless, so I'd stay away from poking any holes in those lines.
I’m going to try and make this happen

Back