Please help me pick a skimmer...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

DWill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
'm setting up a new IM 25 Lagoon with a Fiji Cube 20 sump. I need a skimmer. I'd like to have a DC skimmer.

I'm looking at this skimmer SN127 MONZTER MINI DC PROTEIN SKIMMER - https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/sn127-monzter-mini-protein-skimmer-skimz.html

It only has a few reviews and they are kinda mixed. Does anyone have any direct experience with this brand of skimmers or this model in particular? The one downside of the sump I have is there doesn't seem to be a way of trapping microbubbles from the skimmer. So I'm particularly interested in hearing experience with this brand as it related to microbubbles.
My total water volume should be around 30 - 35 gallons after I put sand and rock in the display and some bio-media in the sump. Will it be a good match for that water volume?
I'm not trying to go bankrupt getting this set up done, but I also want decent quality. If anyone has any suggestions on a different brand/model skimmer that would be a good match to my set up please let me know.

mann1139

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The biggest problem that I have found with sump skimmers is that they require a certain water level, and if your sump is out of that level, you are SOL.

How tall is the water column in the chamber where you plan to put your skimmer?

Also, what is the footprint of that chamber (round down)?

OP
OP
DWill

DWill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The biggest problem that I have found with sump skimmers is that they require a certain water level, and if your sump is out of that level, you are SOL.

How tall is the water column in the chamber where you plan to put your skimmer?

Also, what is the footprint of that chamber (round down)?

The Fuji Cube 20 has an adjustable water level from 5 or 6 inches to 12 inches in both the skimmer and reactor/return chambers.

OP
OP
DWill

DWill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got the tank and sump leaked checked and cleaned. Tonight’s project… start on refinishing the stand.

I’m look for someone local to build a custom stand for me but I don’t want to wait to start the cycle. I’ve got about a week until rock and sand get here. Weird I couldn’t find a 20lb bag of Special Grade live sand or shelf rock anywhere in San Diego.

So I guess I’ll refinish this stand, set it up when the rock and sand get here and start the cycle while I find someone to build a stand for me.

FE81A960-027A-4A95-9DF4-F1250EC5307A.jpeg

Louiemiller9

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
'm setting up a new IM 25 Lagoon with a Fiji Cube 20 sump. I need a skimmer. I'd like to have a DC skimmer.

I'm looking at this skimmer SN127 MONZTER MINI DC PROTEIN SKIMMER - https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/sn127-monzter-mini-protein-skimmer-skimz.html

It only has a few reviews and they are kinda mixed. Does anyone have any direct experience with this brand of skimmers or this model in particular? The one downside of the sump I have is there doesn't seem to be a way of trapping microbubbles from the skimmer. So I'm particularly interested in hearing experience with this brand as it related to microbubbles.
My total water volume should be around 30 - 35 gallons after I put sand and rock in the display and some bio-media in the sump. Will it be a good match for that water volume?
I'm not trying to go bankrupt getting this set up done, but I also want decent quality. If anyone has any suggestions on a different brand/model skimmer that would be a good match to my set up please let me know.
Love my octo skimmer

Plecosam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Eshopps is the best
Has the long term testing of every skimmer on the market brought you to this conclusion?

OP Dalua - Great White seem the goods, or perhaps NYOS depends on what you want, I can only talk about what I own though.

Bulk Reef Supply

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

We've used a number of the Skimz Skimmers around the BRS office and I personally run the SN123 (previous gen to the SN127) on my tank at home. I've been running this skimmer for about the last 3-4 years. I'm usually a big fan of the Reef Octopus products when it comes to skimmers, but was drawn to this particular skimmer due to the lower price point (this was right before my hiring with BRS, so no employee discount :p). I have to say that it's been one of the easiest skimmers that I've ever owned in terms of tuning it in. The gearhead in me keeps wanting to upgrade, but given the performance of this skimmer, I just can't bring myself to do it.

Plecosam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wanted a Reef Octo myself but not much availability in Australia, not sure if Skimz are available here. What about Vertex, I considered one but prefer one with a knob for water level tuning.

Bossman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I was running my 20 IM I first tried a nano skimmer and was underwhelmed. Very difficult to get it to work properly.

I then used a Aquamaxx 1.5 HOB skimmer. That worked great! Fit tight but still fit on the back.

Plecosam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really I did not know that, I think you can still get them here in Australia.

Cflow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a Coralbox D300 that was a great little skimmer. It’s a jebao dc pump so you get what you pay for, but a replacement pump is around $50. It appeared to be the same pump that was in my deltec, but the acrylic work was much better.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 18 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 14.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 75 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back