OP
OP
Reefer Dan

Reefer Dan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Royal gramma’s colors really pop for a small fish and tend to be model citizens.
Yeah based on what I’ve read, Royal gramma may be a better option than the black cap basselet… and with looking into the magnificent Foxface, the extra yellow and money saved could be nice. Thanks!

nuxx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chevron Tang!

Really loved mine.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah based on what I’ve read, Royal gramma may be a better option than the black cap basselet… and with looking into the magnificent Foxface, the extra yellow and money saved could be nice. Thanks!
Honestly, Magnificus is one of the few fish that looks nice in any tank with any fish whether they’re all dark or all brightly coloured.
This is a photo I got of my guy yesterday, they don’t have so much yellow to the point it’s blinding to look at but also it’s not too little yellow to avoid the eye.
26AFB0DF-09E1-4A1D-B09C-302A2745AA46.jpeg

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chevron Tang!

Really loved mine.

Unfortunately we can’t get these guys anymore… I don’t believe they’re on the list of fish that can be brought out of Hawaii now either.

OP
OP
Reefer Dan

Reefer Dan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Honestly, Magnificus is one of the few fish that looks nice in any tank with any fish whether they’re all dark or all brightly coloured.
This is a photo I got of my guy yesterday, they don’t have so much yellow to the point it’s blinding to look at but also it’s not too little yellow to avoid the eye.
26AFB0DF-09E1-4A1D-B09C-302A2745AA46.jpeg
What size would you recommend starting with? No one seems to have small ones available, they are all about 5”?

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size would you recommend starting with? No one seems to have small ones available, they are all about 5”?
I would try to get a 2-3 inch one. If you can’t get them then I’d go 4 inch at the largest - Mine was grown from a 2.5-3 inch specimen (I can’t remember the exact size).

OP
OP
Reefer Dan

Reefer Dan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Appreciate it, I was thinking the 5” was too big to start. I will keep looking.
Well darn, after a lot of calling around and searching online, I finally found a 2” one but it was $370. I’m having a hard time justifying paying $200-400 for one of these when I can get the one spot for about $60.

I have found 4.5-5.5” ones for $290

OP
OP
Reefer Dan

Reefer Dan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Just as an update, I was able to find a 3.5” magnificent and purchased it. I think I’ve also decided on my remaining fish (still open to feedback)—

Planning to add:
zebra bar goby x3
Purple firefish
Sunburst Anthias
Whitetail bristooth tang

Have:
2 Dispar anthias
Magnificent foxface
Gladiator clownfish
Court jester goby
Pink streak wrasse
Yellow coris wrasse

Last edited:

Singspot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Just as an update, I was able to find a 3.5” magnificent and purchased it. I think I’ve also decided on my remaining fish (still open to feedback)—

Planning to add:
zebra bar goby x3
Purple firefish
Sunburst Anthias
Whitetail bristooth tang

Have:
2 Dispar anthias
Magnificent foxface
Gladiator clownfish
Court jester goby
Pink streak wrasse
Yellow coris wrasse
How has your experience been with Sunburst Anthias?

Is is as hardy as the bartlet or lyretail?

Any issues you noticed?

Does it swim out in open?

OP
OP
Reefer Dan

Reefer Dan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
How has your experience been with Sunburst Anthias?

Is is as hardy as the bartlet or lyretail?

Any issues you noticed?

Does it swim out in open?
The only experience I have so far is in QT (just finished and entered the DT this morning). It was very reclusive and reluctant to eat (may have been due to the more aggressive eaters that it was with). I was convinced it was going to starve to death as it wasn’t visually eating for quite some time, but would eat tiny things going by (very different eating than most other fish… would just suck stuff up going by instead of actively capture food).
I was concerned with a potential for swim bladder, but discovered at least with mine that when it is anxious about other fish, it swims at a downward angle.
I’d say around week 3-3.5 is when it started feeling more comfortable and being a more aggressive eater, still shy around me but getting a little more comfortable swimming around.

side notes/updates:
I will say so far, my Foxface is kind of a jerk (despite being skittish)… so makes me nervous with jumpy fish and to see how the whitetail tang goes..supposed to pick the tang up this week. Excited to quarantine my last fish. Also, surprised how much I have fallen in love with the zebra bar gobies.

Last edited:

Singspot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Thx for detailed response!

As you have some experience in the DT, pls do share what water level it hangs out at and swims ... how it interacts, bullys and gets bullied by other fishes.

I trying to decide between Bartlet trio vs. Sunburst trio in my 8 ft tank with large 3 Zebrasomas, Hippo, Cowfiah, Coral Beauty, Melanerous, ocelaris pair, Flame hawk, Quoyii, Diamond gobi, mandarin and a bicolor goatfish.

OP
OP
Reefer Dan

Reefer Dan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thx for detailed response!

As you have some experience in the DT, pls do share what water level it hangs out at and swims ... how it interacts, bullys and gets bullied by other fishes.

I trying to decide between Bartlet trio vs. Sunburst trio in my 8 ft tank with large 3 Zebrasomas, Hippo, Cowfiah, Coral Beauty, Melanerous, ocelaris pair, Flame hawk, Quoyii, Diamond gobi, mandarin and a bicolor goatfish.
@Singspot Update for you: the sunburst Anthias so far has been mostly hanging out in the bottom 1/3 of the tank, occasionally adventuring to the mid level, but haven’t caught it any higher. My 2 dispar anthias have tried to get it to school with them a couple times… but it likes to do its own thing. I don’t anticipate it will venture up to the top 1/3, but it might as it gets more comfortable. It’s been a lot less scared in the DT than the QT in my opinion. I haven’t seen it bully anyone (it seems pretty passive, but would defend its territory in the QT), it has been getting some bullying from my Foxface because it has taken a liking to his area.. but then again the magnificent Foxface is the tank bully.

Back