Please help me pick my last few fish- 75 gal

Reefer Dan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have a Red Sea reefer 350 that is ~ 75g + 20 gal sump (4 foot tank).
Current fish:
1 gladiator clownfish
1 pink streak wrasse
1 court jester goby
1 yellow coris wrasse
3 Dispar anthias

I for sure want a tang: debating between a two spot or a white tail bristletooth tang (really want white tail but it’s a significant cost difference?

Open to ideas, but haven’t decided. I was thinking one of the options below, but definitely open to alternative ideas:
3 chromis
Mixture of firefish (scissor tail + a helfrenchi)
One spot rabbit fish

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Red Sea reefer 350 that is ~ 75g + 20 gal sump (4 foot tank).
Current fish:
1 gladiator clownfish
1 pink streak wrasse
1 court jester goby
1 yellow coris wrasse
3 Dispar anthias

I for sure want a tang: debating between a two spot or a white tail bristletooth tang (really want white tail but it’s a significant cost difference?

Open to ideas, but haven’t decided. I was thinking one of the options below, but definitely open to alternative ideas:
3 chromis
Mixture of firefish (scissor tail + a helfrenchi)
One spot rabbit fish
What are the true tank dimensions? 4’ is the length however when we’re talking tangs and other active fish, it’s best knowing full floor space and not just length.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
21” H x 47” L x 20” W
I would do a White Tail Bristletooth Tang and the Foxface in that tank size then maybe leave it at that for large fish. I would do just one group of dartfish, and only one species of fire fish is actually communal which is the Red Firefish (Magnifica). Even then, this fish isn’t often found in groups in the wild.

So if you did a group of dart fish, avoid the Firefish genus and go for the Scissor tail.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would do a White Tail Bristletooth Tang and the Foxface in that tank size then maybe leave it at that for large fish. I would do just one group of dartfish, and only one species of fire fish is actually communal which is the Red Firefish (Magnifica). Even then, this fish isn’t often found in groups in the wild.

So if you did a group of dart fish, avoid the Firefish genus and go for the Scissor tail.
I agree with all of this. Definitely invest in a fine mesh lid because those little scissor tail torpedoes can really crank it!

OP
OP
Reefer Dan

Reefer Dan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

So if you did a group of dart fish, avoid the Firefish genus and go for the Scissor tail

Appreciate the insight on the dart fish. I do have a mesh screen lid, but I think it’s 1/4” so probably not small enough. Still not 100% sold on the dart fish, but if I do the fox face and the white tail, how many other fish do you think I could put in before it’s too much?

Since these 2 offer a lot of movement in the tank, I am considering looking at different options. Do you think about another 3 smallish fish would fit or should I do less?

Last edited:

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Appreciate the insight on the dart fish. I do have a mesh screen lid, but I think it’s 1/4” so probably not small enough. Still not 100% sold on the dart fish, but if I do the fox face and the white tail, how many other fish do you think I could put in before it’s too much?

Since these 2 offer a lot of movement in the tank, I am considering looking at different options. Do you think about another 3 smallish fish would fit or should I do less?
I cant remember the exact dimensions however in my 4’x2’x2’ I have 12 fish (hoping to bump it back up to 13 eventually).

mwdomino

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just replying to add that I have a Reefer 350 and came to this same dilemma. We waffles back and forth on the price but grabbed a White Tail Bristletooth Tang from Dr Reef (QTed) and he’s been a model citizen.
He and the Foxface spend basically all day together and even hide out together during tank maintenance!

So my vote is both of those fish lol

Attachments

• 322E16E0-4E3D-46D9-B891-A25B72C33339.jpeg
    322E16E0-4E3D-46D9-B891-A25B72C33339.jpeg
    235.2 KB · Views: 58
OP
OP
Reefer Dan

Reefer Dan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Just replying to add that I have a Reefer 350 and came to this same dilemma. We waffles back and forth on the price but grabbed a White Tail Bristletooth Tang from Dr Reef (QTed) and he’s been a model citizen.
He and the Foxface spend basically all day together and even hide out together during tank maintenance!

So my vote is both of those fish lol
I appreciate the insights! I may have to do some crazy saving for it, but sounds like it will be worth it.

I cant remember the exact dimensions however in my 4’x2’x2’ I have 12 fish (hoping to bump it back up to 13 eventually).
Awesome! Ok so that means I can do the tang, foxface, and about 3 others… as much as I’m curious about the chromis (and their price is awesome)… I’m thinking about doing:

-1 firefish (ideally helfrenchi if I can get a good deal, but like a normal)
-1 black cap basslet
-1 sunburst Anthias

many insights or thoughts on this plan would be much appreciated!

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t those outgrow this tank size?
I have seen a 15 Year Old magnficent in captivity and honestly it was only about 6-7 inch (if that). Mine is three years old and already slowed in growth at 5.5-6 inch.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s an FTS of my 4’x2’x2’ tank and as you can see, I have some fish that people say get huge but actually they generally max out at 5.5-6 inch in captivity due to their growth being relatively slow.
image.jpg

OP
OP
Reefer Dan

Reefer Dan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
They don’t get much bigger than bristletooth and it’s the same size as the one spot foxface and foxfaces don’t swim nearly as much.
Here’s an FTS of my 4’x2’x2’ tank and as you can see, I have some fish that people say get huge but actually they generally max out at 5.5-6 inch in captivity due to their growth being relatively slow.
Good to know, everything I kept reading said they were a 125 gal minimum! I will have to keep my eye out for one of these.

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chromis are pretty, but a lot of people, including me, find they are prone to uronema. If one chromis gets it, they all seem to get it. Uronema cannot be cured. Death follows quickly.

Another species with a lot of color and personality is the hawkfish.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 23.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 20.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%

Back