Please help my poor Emerald Crabs....

MaraRavenous

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone, my aquarium has been very healthy and happy for some time and shows consistent improvement... For everyone but my Emerald Crabs. They don't ever seem to shed, have been dropping limbs, and their shells no longer appear bright and green. They are some of my longest cared for reef inhabitants and I'm worried they won't last much longer...

Backstory: About a month after I inherited this aquarium from a friend, I picked up 4 Emerald Crabs from a local LFS. Since then I've determined that LFS has bad livestock keeping practices as many of their livestock are sick, so I don't go there anymore. Two of the crabs didn't last very long, but I've had the other two for the 5 months since. They have been model citizens for the most part, except for when they uproot a frag looking for algae once every few months.

Over the last two months their health has been rapidly declining. Both crabs have been losing limbs and although others say they will shed and recover them, I've never seen either crab have a shed the entire time I've kept them (though they have definitely grown in size) and they just keep losing more limbs, and not recovering them. One crab is missing two legs and one pincer, and the other is missing 4 legs (almost all its legs from one side!). Their shells have lost their green and become more pale and mottled in color, and I've noticed little pits in certain areas of their shell.

I've considered a few things as possible causes...

1) Parasites. Both crabs have had tiny, rust-colored mites the entire time I've had them. These tiny mites run all over their bodies but don't exist anywhere else in the aquarium, and seem to only live on the crabs. I've looked around and other threads suggest almost all emeralds have mites of some kind, so I'm wondering if this is really an issue or just par for the course.

2) Iodine deficiency. I know that lacking enough Iodine can cause issues with shedding. But my Skunk Cleaner sheds perfectly fine and has no health issues in the same tank. I feed them a varied diet... They pick for algae, are fed small bits of nori 2-3 times a week (I give it to them directly with tweezers), and scavenge meaty foods off the aquarium floor (brine shrimp, mysis shrimp, occasionally squid). There is definitely plenty of extra food as other members of my CUC have continued to propagate (stomatella, spaghetti worms, bristle worms).

3) Predation? The only fish in the aquarium are my two Ocellaris Clowns, who both give the crabs a fairly wide berth and will immediately swim away if the crabs make an aggressive gesture with their claws. The skunk cleaner likewise mostly avoids them and is quick to move if they seem annoyed by him. My CUC are all small critters that are not capable of hurting him: snails, spaghetti worms, very small bristle worms (1-2" long), conches...

4) Infighting? Perhaps they fight with each other? But the aquarium has lots of space, hiding spots, and food for them both, and they generally hang out on opposite ends of the aquarium. So I doubt it...

Please help. Any suggestions about a next course of action are appreciated! I know they are just cheap $2 crabs but I want to care for them, and being some of my first reef pets I actually really care about them.

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope you get some help. I’ve had emeralds before but never had issues. I am wondering if you have another type of crab injuring the emeralds. I had sea stars missing arms before and didn’t know why until I found a large crab in the rocks at night.

OP
OP
MaraRavenous

MaraRavenous

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm thinking #4, how big is the tank?
The tank isn't huge, 15-gallon with a 3-gallon rear sump. But it has a lot of rockwork with plenty of hiding places. In the first month after I got them they occasionally spat with each other, but I haven't seen anything like that since I adjusted the aquascape to be more habitat friendly. My partner and I spend a lot of time around the aquarium (it's in our bedroom) and I even spend time observing it late at night when I can't sleep, and never see them fighting anymore. They just live on opposite sides of the tank at this point.
Have you checked your iodine levels at all?
I haven't yet... I don't have an Iodine test kit. I should get one and some Lugol's or similar and test what's going on there next probably...
I hope you get some help. I’ve had emeralds before but never had issues. I am wondering if you have another type of crab injuring the emeralds. I had sea stars missing arms before and didn’t know why until I found a large crab in the rocks at night.
I'm just not sure how I wouldn't have seen it by now. I've had to even remove some of the rockwork for bits at a time for some issue or another and never seen anything, and I watch the aquarium regularly including late at night. I've seen many kinds of critters, but never any larger crab-type critters.

OP
OP
MaraRavenous

MaraRavenous

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After looking at other peoples' photos of their crabs, it's pretty apparent to me how dull and not beautifully green mine have become. :( I feed them nori and they get plenty of meaty food off the grounds so I swear they shouldn't be starving...

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO 4 emeralds in a 15 gallon is too much, they likely are fighting each other. The "recommended" tank size is one per 10-20 gallon tank

OP
OP
MaraRavenous

MaraRavenous

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO 4 emeralds in a 15 gallon is too much, they likely are fighting each other. The "recommended" tank size is one per 10-20 gallon tank
I bought 4 at the beginning but 2 perished rather early. There are only 2 crabs in there, and they've cohabitated well as far as I can tell for about 5 months since.

Last edited:

Duncan62

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone, my aquarium has been very healthy and happy for some time and shows consistent improvement... For everyone but my Emerald Crabs. They don't ever seem to shed, have been dropping limbs, and their shells no longer appear bright and green. They are some of my longest cared for reef inhabitants and I'm worried they won't last much longer...

Backstory: About a month after I inherited this aquarium from a friend, I picked up 4 Emerald Crabs from a local LFS. Since then I've determined that LFS has bad livestock keeping practices as many of their livestock are sick, so I don't go there anymore. Two of the crabs didn't last very long, but I've had the other two for the 5 months since. They have been model citizens for the most part, except for when they uproot a frag looking for algae once every few months.

Over the last two months their health has been rapidly declining. Both crabs have been losing limbs and although others say they will shed and recover them, I've never seen either crab have a shed the entire time I've kept them (though they have definitely grown in size) and they just keep losing more limbs, and not recovering them. One crab is missing two legs and one pincer, and the other is missing 4 legs (almost all its legs from one side!). Their shells have lost their green and become more pale and mottled in color, and I've noticed little pits in certain areas of their shell.

I've considered a few things as possible causes...

1) Parasites. Both crabs have had tiny, rust-colored mites the entire time I've had them. These tiny mites run all over their bodies but don't exist anywhere else in the aquarium, and seem to only live on the crabs. I've looked around and other threads suggest almost all emeralds have mites of some kind, so I'm wondering if this is really an issue or just par for the course.

2) Iodine deficiency. I know that lacking enough Iodine can cause issues with shedding. But my Skunk Cleaner sheds perfectly fine and has no health issues in the same tank. I feed them a varied diet... They pick for algae, are fed small bits of nori 2-3 times a week (I give it to them directly with tweezers), and scavenge meaty foods off the aquarium floor (brine shrimp, mysis shrimp, occasionally squid). There is definitely plenty of extra food as other members of my CUC have continued to propagate (stomatella, spaghetti worms, bristle worms).

3) Predation? The only fish in the aquarium are my two Ocellaris Clowns, who both give the crabs a fairly wide berth and will immediately swim away if the crabs make an aggressive gesture with their claws. The skunk cleaner likewise mostly avoids them and is quick to move if they seem annoyed by him. My CUC are all small critters that are not capable of hurting him: snails, spaghetti worms, very small bristle worms (1-2" long), conches...

4) Infighting? Perhaps they fight with each other? But the aquarium has lots of space, hiding spots, and food for them both, and they generally hang out on opposite ends of the aquarium. So I doubt it...

Please help. Any suggestions about a next course of action are appreciated! I know they are just cheap $2 crabs but I want to care for them, and being some of my first reef pets I actually really care about them.
How big are they and are they males? They might just be old. I've always been a crab fan and the longest I've ever had an emerald is 4 years. She was tiny when I got her. The older ones get that grayish green mottled look and the males fight. Good luck with them. They are an old favorite. Try to get females in the future. They're great algae eaters.

OP
OP
MaraRavenous

MaraRavenous

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They could be getting old. They weren't tiny when I got them, even if they have grown a bit since then. How do you differentiate male from female?

Duncan62

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They could be getting old. They weren't tiny when I got them, even if they have grown a bit since then. How do you differentiate male from female?
Look at the belly. The female has a longer jointed flap for carrying eggs. Usually smaller with smaller claws.

rmorris_14

TWSS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
76E0E91A-3886-4D45-B9B4-B512D1092545.jpeg

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.3%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 88 80.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.5%
Back