Please help ! QT Help !

kaylshouse15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hiya, so I have set up a QT tank as per instructions, powerhead, filter, heater. I suspected my fish may have velvet and ich reason for QT. I have dosed with CP as per instructions and with prime every 24 hours. This is my water parameters I have already done a water change and re dosed with CP. Fish dont seem better at all. All heavy breathing. Any help would be much appreciated, very new to this hobby and feeling very defeated
20200504_182235.jpg

20200504_181533.jpg

bevo5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Did you use any established media in the filter? You're ammonia is definitely causing issues for the fish. You need to do a big water change to bring it down. Do not use Prime or another binder - it will make copper more toxic.

If you can - go get a packaged bacteria from a LFS.

If you have established media like foam pads from another system, that would be good to add.

The ammonia is the issue. Along with whatever is actually wrong with the fish.

If it's ich - you have time. If it's velvet - you don't have time and need to ramp up the copper level quickly.

OP
OP
kaylshouse15

kaylshouse15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you use any established media in the filter? You're ammonia is definitely causing issues for the fish. You need to do a big water change to bring it down. Do not use Prime or another binder - it will make copper more toxic.

If you can - go get a packaged bacteria from a LFS.

If you have established media like foam pads from another system, that would be good to add.

The ammonia is the issue. Along with whatever is actually wrong with the fish.

If it's ich - you have time. If it's velvet - you don't have time and need to ramp up the copper level quickly.
I Thought I cycled it but obviously wrong. I'm using chloroquine phosphate for treatment as I have an eel and a puffer. When you say add media from another tank I have my big one running but I only have a protein skimmer and a filter sock.

Thanks for your help ! really appreciated!

bevo5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Then your best bet is to do some big water changes and try to track down some bacteria.

If your filter sock has been in the tank for a while you could also try cutting up a bunch of that and putting it into your filter. That might help.

Basically - you need some type of help with the biological filtration in the QT. A lack of biological filtration is causing the ammonia levels you're seeing. Water changes will help but that's a temporary fix. If you can do massive water changes every day that will help - just make sure you're matching parameters.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can, grab a bottle of instant ocean bio spira, will take care of that ammonia quickly. Filter floss in a hang on back filter will give the bacteria somewhere to colonize

OP
OP
kaylshouse15

kaylshouse15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Then your best bet is to do some big water changes and try to track down some bacteria.

If your filter sock has been in the tank for a while you could also try cutting up a bunch of that and putting it into your filter. That might help.

Basically - you need some type of help with the biological filtration in the QT. A lack of biological filtration is causing the ammonia levels you're seeing. Water changes will help but that's a temporary fix. If you can do massive water changes every day that will help - just make sure you're matching parameters.
would soaking the filter sponge in the junk out the protine skimmer help ? I thought daily dosing with prime would help with the ammonia levels etc ?

OP
OP
kaylshouse15

kaylshouse15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can, grab a bottle of instant ocean bio spira, will take care of that ammonia quickly. Filter floss in a hang on back filter will give the bacteria somewhere to colonize

I have this? is this the same kinda thing?

15886153749875381464200729509619.jpg

SCReef'n

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Not to start a side bar but. The use of CP and prime don’t have a detrimental effect.

bevo5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Not to start a side bar but. The use of CP and prime don’t have a detrimental effect.

Yeah I missed that in the original post and thought it was copper.

SCReef'n

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I Thought I cycled it but obviously wrong. I'm using chloroquine phosphate for treatment as I have an eel and a puffer. When you say add media from another tank I have my big one running but I only have a protein skimmer and a filter sock.

Thanks for your help ! really appreciated!

When you say CP do you mean copper power or chloroquine phosphate? The use of prime should reduce the ammonia levels. As far as cycling a qt tank it’s hard to call any tank cycled when we go and pour medications designed to kill fungus bacteria and parasites in it. Your going to need to rely primarily on water changes to keep things in check

OP
OP
kaylshouse15

kaylshouse15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

But it says in the instructions here to use prime ?
1588616033197693539944378198707.jpg

OP
OP
kaylshouse15

kaylshouse15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you say CP do you mean copper power or chloroquine phosphate? The use of prime should reduce the ammonia levels. As far as cycling a qt tank it’s hard to call any tank cycled when we go and pour medications designed to kill fungus bacteria and parasites in it. Your going to need to rely primarily on water changes to keep things in check
sorry useing chloroquine phosphate

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 7 6.8%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.9%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.9%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 82 79.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.9%
Back