Please help!! Sump questions!!

Manda0597

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So we just set up our 90 gal tank with 20 gal sump. This is our first time using a sump as our other smaller tank has a canister filter. We are having an issue with our sump and skimmer. So first chamber has filter sock and skimmer. 3 baffles with a sponge in between one. Third chamber has return pump. Our first chamber seems very full but it seems like it has to be because of the baffle height. Return chamber runs extremely low it seems and return pump is turned down to probably 30% because if it is turned up anymore the pump starts sucking air. What are we doing wrong?

Also, we have the reef octopus xs160. It seems extremely loud and also just bubbles instead of water level rising. Also overflows over the top. When I put my finger over the air silencer thing the bubbles go down and water level rises to where it is supposed to. Pics below for reference because I know that sounds confusing. Please help!

Any suggestions on sump also welcomed!

FE25C765-C968-46F8-A3C5-F01F13E71EFE.jpeg 4261E658-165A-4708-82E5-A3461D11A071.jpeg 130A34C7-ECA1-40B3-8003-93B7630B4B49.jpeg 428628A2-4CE0-4DB8-832E-D5F80AD2DE82.jpeg B58E9C00-3657-4780-9AB8-F28FE0B547F4.jpeg 5514B466-C06D-4A07-BB90-5633BF83E397.jpeg 31027465-8272-49EA-B960-A5C1A61597A6.jpeg

Travis Wagner

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you know what the recommended water height is for that skimmer? It looks like maybe the water level in the chamber is higher than what the skimmer would like and it may need to be elevated.

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya that’s never gonna work. Did you make that sump? The baffles are too high, when you lose power that sump is gonna overflow.

The last chamber of the sump is where the water fluctuates, add more water to the system and that section only will rise.

You need to tune in the skimmer using the valve to get it to skim correct. Is it at the right water height?

Edit: never say never but if that sump doesn’t overflow it must get so close!

OP
OP
Manda0597

Manda0597

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya that’s never gonna work. Did you make that sump? The baffles are too high, when you lose power that sump is gonna overflow.

The last chamber of the sump is where the water fluctuates, add more water to the system and that section only will rise.

You need to tune in the skimmer using the valve to get it to skim correct. Is it at the right water height?

It doesn’t overflow we checked! The last chamber just gets higher. I believe the water level is good, it just seems like so many bubbles!

OP
OP
Manda0597

Manda0597

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I did not make the sump, I bought it used off someone

ReefStable

Reef Stable
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That sump is not going to work long term. The baffles are too high. When using DIY sumps, I find a good amount of research helps a lot. I would base it off of professionally made sumps.

ReefGrammie

Must...stay...away...from...live...sales...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First of all, nice job on the pictures! Those help tremendously. I have a 90-gallon tank, and I think my sump is a 30L breeder tank. My son did the sump design, and it's worked for me for 6 years now. The left chamber houses the skimmer and heater, the middle chamber houses the return pump and GFO reactor, and the right chamber (with the pink light) is the refugium. I definitely agree that the water line is too high for the skimmer. Mine would overflow continually at that depth!

I actually bought a little acrylic rack at Target and flipped it upside-down to raise my skimmer up a few inches. Seems like it was in the bathroom section to hold cosmetics or something, but it works fine to raise the skimmer and has holes so water flows through it! My water line in the left chamber is 9 inches. The middle chamber only drops about an inch at 8 inches for the return pump chamber. The refugium is about 13 inches with a constant trickle flow where the overflow runs back into the return chamber.

Entire sump:
Sump2.jpg

Left and middle chamber:
Sump1.jpg

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cant believe it doesnt overflow, I guess I have multiple returns that siphon on my set up.

SALTYMOPAR

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That skimmer calls for 8"-9.5" which looking at the pictures i would say it pretty close to that. One option is to cut the baffles out and move them making your return section larger your skimmer section little smaller. Also if the baffles are higher than 8" cut them down. That will give you more volume of water in the return and might solve the problem. I would say currently you are on a fine line of making this work.

OP
OP
Manda0597

Manda0597

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We followed your advice and decided to lower the baffles. Took out the old ones, went to Lowe’s and bought cut glass and are currently waiting for the silicone to cure. The original baffles were 9in, these are 7in!

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The last chamber with return pump sucking air can be remedied by putting more water in that section of sump. Treat that level as your full sump level.
Now turn your return pump off and watch for sump to overflow.
Good call on lowering baffles.

SALTYMOPAR

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We followed your advice and decided to lower the baffles. Took out the old ones, went to Lowe’s and bought cut glass and are currently waiting for the silicone to cure. The original baffles were 9in, these are 7in!
That will definitely give you some more volume. did you move the baffles over while you were at it?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 20.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 11 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 38 52.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 9.6%
Back