Please help w/ cabinet door ideas

newbreefer316

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm finally getting around to setting this tank up but I need some help figuring out a way to attach a door/doors to the front of the stand. Looking for something super simple and preferably something that doesn't require a beam in the middle of the opening. Here's my issue, it needs to be somewhat kid safe.
90gStand(1).jpg
90gStand(2).jpg

I was thinking about something like a single door attached by magnets that I could pull off in one piece, but I'm not sure how I could secure it. I've heard of different magnet locks but and I was thinking about putting a couple regular magnets in the door to support it and adding 2-4 magnetic locks to secure it.

Any one done something similar and have pictures of it, or any other input?

Thanks

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I made conventional paneled doors but attached them by putting two dowels in the base of the door frame that aligned with slightly over-sized holes in the face frame.

Dowel in Base of door:

IMG_1505_zpszbfafs3b.jpg

Looking down the back of the door as it is being aligned with the holes in the face frame:

IMG_1507_zpsx8ootxwg.jpg

What held the door in place was a Neodymium Magnet that were counter sunk into the door frame on the top frame that aligned with a second neodymium magnet in a little rabbit ear I also built.

Making the rabbit ears.....I cut little pieces of wood that were drilled with a Forstner bit. The magnets were epoxy glued into the holes and the wood was cut and shaped, and they just-so-happened to look like Mickey Mouse ears.

IMG_1752_zpsnh4amnng.jpg

Here's the door going into place:

IMG_1758_zpsh5yzzuys.jpg

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.3%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 28 16.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.5%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 75 43.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.6%
Back