Please help with chaeto

bigb2052

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been trying to grow chaeto for a couple of months. I have had to try a new batch three different times so far and it may look like I will need to start a new batch again. I just can’t get chaeto to grow at all. I thought at first my lighting was not enough so along with a 6500k led clip light I added a small red blue hydroponic light. That did not help so I thought possibly I had too much light and kept with the 6500k led light figuring it may not be optimal but some growth should at least happen. Nutrition was never an issue for the algae as well. My nitrates are always 10-30 (I am running them high right now to assist the algae and also because I have no corals currently), and phosphates are also relatively high. I also read that flow may be an issue, so I installed a small pump that allows the chaeto to tumble. That did not help, so I also researched that dosing iron can help. I began dosing iron, but just like all the other tactics I tried my chaeto just slowly turns patchy white. I would start with thorough deep green thick chaeto, and over time it seems to become slightly more fragile, pale, and “stripped white” or “stripped pale”. Hair algae, diatoms, and various other algae’s have no problem growing in my refugium, but not chaeto. I will include picture what I mean about the patchy white chaeto that’s more pale. I guess I am not sure what to do to grow chaeto successfully. I am not sure if there are some full proof methods that I am just missing or what but I am getting to my wits end on trying to grow this algae. There has to be something I am doing wrong.
A couple side notes is that I am also using tap water. It is obviously dechlorinated and I almost guarantee it has no harmful chemicals that would hurt chaeto, but I guess that is an option. The water is well water and I have used it for freshwater planted tanks and ornamental shrimp. I plan on getting ro/di unit over the summer and especially before any corals go into the system. I just figured I at least could get algae growing in the mean time. The other weird side note is that once the algae starts going that patchy white and pale, when I pull it out of the water it does not smell like it is rotting. It smells actually really sweet. I am still extremely new to reef tanks and this tank has only been setup for 3 months, so I am not sure what information is the most helpful for everyone.
1591250846315.jpeg
1591250879986.png

Limoncello

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bump. I am interested as well.

Can't seem to grow the stuff. Have also had three batches die off. My tank is a year old, nitrates are around 15, phosphates 0.5, calcium 450, all 8. I have a H160 light. The chaeto was melting away so i ramped down the light intensity to its lowest setting. Still issues so i cut the time the light was on to 5 hours. Still melting.

Any green thumbs with chaeto , we need your help :)

bdunn13

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought chaeto and Sea Lettuce from Algae Barn.... the lettuce choked out the chaeto and within a couple of weeks there was no sign of it anywhere.

So, try sea lettuce - I think it is easier and grows like crazy. I have harvested it a couple of times from the golf ball size after only a couple of months.

I now have two tangs - I am hoping they will eat some of it too!

Keen4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bump. I am interested as well.

Can't seem to grow the stuff. Have also had three batches die off. My tank is a year old, nitrates are around 15, phosphates 0.5, calcium 450, all 8. I have a H160 light. The chaeto was melting away so i ramped down the light intensity to its lowest setting. Still issues so i cut the time the light was on to 5 hours. Still melting.

Any green thumbs with chaeto , we need your help :)
I have the same light and had the setting on medium low with the light set between grow and white. So I cut the white chaeto back and ramped up the light to 100% and set between grow and bloom. Lets see if this works. This was a suggestion from another post. tank is 2 months old.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back