Please help with ID

gettergejetter

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought this coral and didnt ask my LFS what kind of coral it is. Can someone help me out please? Could it be a Blasto?

Also I was flashed by the color so I bought it, but I think that it isnt very healthy. what do you guys think? Its currently in a low light and low flow area.
15822242340597307114179463275019.jpg

Just tell me if you need a better pic. Ill try to take a better one if needed

thx

Vahanyos

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can take a better more clear pic of the flesh we can try to help diagnose if it's in good health or not. My lobo (it's about 7" in diameter now) looks like it's shriveled every now and then (usually it's pooping or something, i dont know lol), but most times its nice and puffy. General signs of it in "bad health" would be if you see flesh melting away, exposed skeleton where the flesh should've been, or if it's not consistently puffy all the time (stress sign). If you see exposed skeleton where flesh used to be, don't assume it's dying right off the bat. it could be recovering - so just monitor it for the next few days to come and let us know :)

OP
OP
gettergejetter

gettergejetter

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can take a better more clear pic of the flesh we can try to help diagnose if it's in good health or not. My lobo (it's about 7" in diameter now) looks like it's shriveled every now and then (usually it's pooping or something, i dont know lol), but most times its nice and puffy. General signs of it in "bad health" would be if you see flesh melting away, exposed skeleton where the flesh should've been, or if it's not consistently puffy all the time (stress sign). If you see exposed skeleton where flesh used to be, don't assume it's dying right off the bat. it could be recovering - so just monitor it for the next few days to come and let us know :)

It looked a little bit worse when I bought it. But sometimes the flesh looks thinner (not that puffy) and then the skeleton appears where the flesh should be. It looks like it is piercing through the flesh. Also, I never saw its tentacles.

Here are some new pics they're a little bit better than the last one.

20200221_115132.jpg
20200221_115140.jpg
20200221_115152.jpg
20200221_115159.jpg
20200221_115221.jpg
20200221_115224.jpg
20200221_115233.jpg

Vahanyos

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking at the second to last picture, it appears the top part is in better health than the bottom. It looks like the bottom part is recovering. Has it gotten better or worse since you brought it home from the LFS?
It doesn’t look too bad honestly - let’s see how it adjusts for the next week or two. My guess is as long as your other corals we’re doing okay, this one too shall adjust and start showing some growth and just overall puffy and healthy

OP
OP
gettergejetter

gettergejetter

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking at the second to last picture, it appears the top part is in better health than the bottom. It looks like the bottom part is recovering. Has it gotten better or worse since you brought it home from the LFS?
It doesn’t look too bad honestly - let’s see how it adjusts for the next week or two. My guess is as long as your other corals we’re doing okay, this one too shall adjust and start showing some growth and just overall puffy and healthy

Hi and sorry for the late response, had a lot going on in the last few days.

After observing it a few more days I can tell that it starts looking better and better.

What do you mean with "bottom"? The skeleton?

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.3%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 28 16.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.5%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 75 43.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.6%
Back