Please help with identifying

tmm161

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 25, 2023
Messages
48
Reaction score
9
Location
Rio rancho
What state or country do you live in
New Mexico
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They looks to be something on the side of this hammer. If you know what it is please let me know
PXL_20231015_013234659~2.jpg
PXL_20231015_013226475.jpg
. This piece is about 1-year-old in my aquarium about a month and a half ago the aquarium took a drop but since it's been doing really well, this hammer has never really breached out of its skeleton and recently I've seen the growth on the side. Please if anybody can help me identify
 
Vermetid snails - most people would recommend removing them (some species seem to cause problems for corals with those mucus webs they use to catch food, other species are fine, but people generally find them unsightly regardless).
 
I am a little perplexed as the base looks pinkish, like a sponge, which are harmless, but the strings coming out hint at vermatid snail. Regardless it looks like your hammer is slightly receeded, and removing that would eliminate one more potential cause to it not doing well.
 
I am a little perplexed as the base looks pinkish, like a sponge, which are harmless, but the strings coming out hint at vermatid snail. Regardless it looks like your hammer is slightly receeded, and removing that would eliminate one more potential cause to it not doing well.
Yeah not to sure. Once I was told vermatid snails, I sourced them. I see that vermatid snails havepre of a tube like structure. I am not seeing any of thos on it more pink like soft structure
 
Yeah not to sure. Once I was told vermatid snails, I sourced them. I see that vermatid snails havepre of a tube like structure. I am not seeing any of thos on it more pink like soft structure
Yeah, the pink thing is the tube in this case (if you touch if, it should feel solid/hard) - the tubes vary in size, shape, color, etc. (Edit: dependent on species.)
 
Yeah not to sure. Once I was told vermatid snails, I sourced them. I see that vermatid snails havepre of a tube like structure. I am not seeing any of thos on it more pink like soft structure
Then it is most definitely a sponge, I have them all over my tank they are very common. Shouldn't cause any troubles.
 
Yeah, the pink thing is the tube in this case (if you touch if, it should feel solid/hard) - the tubes vary in size, shape, color, etc. (Edit: dependent on species.)
Also a good chance its a vermatid with a sponge on the shell, then we can both be right.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 3.7%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 6 5.5%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 22 20.2%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 35 32.1%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 8.3%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 9 8.3%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 15 13.8%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 8 7.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new