Please help with identifying

tmm161

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They looks to be something on the side of this hammer. If you know what it is please let me know
PXL_20231015_013234659~2.jpg
PXL_20231015_013226475.jpg
. This piece is about 1-year-old in my aquarium about a month and a half ago the aquarium took a drop but since it's been doing really well, this hammer has never really breached out of its skeleton and recently I've seen the growth on the side. Please if anybody can help me identify

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Vermetid snails - most people would recommend removing them (some species seem to cause problems for corals with those mucus webs they use to catch food, other species are fine, but people generally find them unsightly regardless).

dannyd_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am a little perplexed as the base looks pinkish, like a sponge, which are harmless, but the strings coming out hint at vermatid snail. Regardless it looks like your hammer is slightly receeded, and removing that would eliminate one more potential cause to it not doing well.

OP
OP
T

tmm161

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am a little perplexed as the base looks pinkish, like a sponge, which are harmless, but the strings coming out hint at vermatid snail. Regardless it looks like your hammer is slightly receeded, and removing that would eliminate one more potential cause to it not doing well.
Yeah not to sure. Once I was told vermatid snails, I sourced them. I see that vermatid snails havepre of a tube like structure. I am not seeing any of thos on it more pink like soft structure

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah not to sure. Once I was told vermatid snails, I sourced them. I see that vermatid snails havepre of a tube like structure. I am not seeing any of thos on it more pink like soft structure
Yeah, the pink thing is the tube in this case (if you touch if, it should feel solid/hard) - the tubes vary in size, shape, color, etc. (Edit: dependent on species.)

dannyd_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Then it is most definitely a sponge, I have them all over my tank they are very common. Shouldn't cause any troubles.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 154 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.2%
Back