Please help - zoanthid eating spider natural predators?

TopClamSkoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey ya'll.

I tried searching around to see if sexy shrimp prey on zoanthid shrimp with no certain results.

Anyone know any natural predators that eat these spiders? I've heard there is a wrasse that eats one.. but again it was listed as possible predator.. I discovered a spider today on the sand and tried to remove it but it disappeared after I tried to pick it up..

Are they fast? Or did I accidentally press it into the sand when I tried to remove them?

Thanks. Sheesh.. this new tank I setup has so many pests compared to all my other tanks in the past..

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty much the same fish listed for many pests are reported to possibly eat them, but it's not a sure thing and at best it probably just gonna keep population in check rather than eradicate them.

Things like melenarus wrasse, six line, Coris wrasse often mentioned. Personally I did not find that yellow Coris, sixline, or melenarus made any noticeable impact.

If you saw it in the sand are you sure it is a zoa spider? Would be unusual to find them there and there are other types of sea "spiders" than zoa spiders and would be hard to know it a zoa spider just from quickly seeing one in the sand.

Bucs20fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also find it highly unusual for one to be on the sand. They rarely leave their zoa "houses" Of course if you were doing maintenance and pushed it off the zoa somehow that is always possible

OP
OP
TopClamSkoo

TopClamSkoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for the late reply.

I actually found out it was an aiptasia or something similar.
It's def a anemone. I need to destroy it soon..

Cole_Voeller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty much the same fish listed for many pests are reported to possibly eat them, but it's not a sure thing and at best it probably just gonna keep population in check rather than eradicate them.

Things like melenarus wrasse, six line, Coris wrasse often mentioned. Personally I did not find that yellow Coris, sixline, or melenarus made any noticeable impact.

If you saw it in the sand are you sure it is a zoa spider? Would be unusual to find them there and there are other types of sea "spiders" than zoa spiders and would be hard to know it a zoa spider just from quickly seeing one in the sand.
I also find it highly unusual for one to be on the sand. They rarely leave their zoa "houses" Of course if you were doing maintenance and pushed it off the zoa somehow that is always possible
Sorry, sort hijacking here, what you two have said gives me hope.
Summed up, this was in my frag tank that’s mostly zoas. However all of my zoas are fine, and have been fine for 70 days, and I did not find it in a zoa. Thoughts?

Attachments

• D8228CC7-3A41-40B1-A5ED-40D45D4C06D6.jpeg
    D8228CC7-3A41-40B1-A5ED-40D45D4C06D6.jpeg
    156.9 KB · Views: 41

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, sort hijacking here, what you two have said gives me hope.
Summed up, this was in my frag tank that’s mostly zoas. However all of my zoas are fine, and have been fine for 70 days, and I did not find it in a zoa. Thoughts?

Generally that is not what I have seen zoa eating spiders look like. The zoa eating varieties I have always seen usually have a proportionately bigger body than what you show there. Usually have eight legs also but maybe this guy just lost a couple cause I think most sea "spiders" have eight legs normally though.

Cole_Voeller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Generally that is not what I have seen zoa eating spiders look like. The zoa eating varieties I have always seen usually have a proportionately bigger body than what you show there. Usually have eight legs also but maybe this guy just lost a couple cause I think most sea "spiders" have eight legs normally though.
Yeah this guy has lost a leg, and I also agree on the bigger body thing. I made my own post regarding this and would like to hear other peoples replies as well before I feel 100% safe. I really appreciate your insight, thank you!

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 66 51.6%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 52.3%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 32 25.0%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.0%
Back