please help!

Cooper924

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to switch my fowlr to a reef tank. Currently I have a 20 gallon long with 20 pounds of live rock and 2-3 inches of live sand coverage. My equipment is no where near the best nor do I have everything I should but it has been working for me for the last three years. I am currently running a nicrew 24in led (got it cheap, don’t know model or wattage), 1650gph wavemaker, HOB Cascade 150 quad filtration(I have penn Plax filter cartridge, bio-sponge, and filter floss), Aqueon preset 100w heater.

Current water parameters:

Ammonia- 0
PH- 8.0
Nitrite- 0
Nitrate- 40ppm (I know this is high, usually around 10-20ppm, but my gf feeds the tank when I have work and lately she’s been putting enough food in for 10-15 fish when we only have 3)
Salinity- 1.025
Temp- 78 degrees Fahrenheit
Calcium- Unknown ( I have purchased fusion 1 and 2 but can't find a calcium test kit)
Magnesium- Unknown ( I have purchased Kent Magnesium but can't find test kit)
Alkalinity- Unknown
Phosphates- Unknown

For the unknown parameters I have been looking for test kits but can't seem to find decent ones that won't break the bank, if anyone can suggest anything. I also plan on replacing the Cascade filter with the Aqua Clear HOB 10-30g. I wanna replace my old light with either a Hipargero LED 30w or Phlizon 165w. I know I could use a protein skimmer but all the ones I've seen are a few hundred, if anyone can recommend a good one for a decent price. Will this equipment be okay?

Current residents:
1 emerald crab ( about 1 year)
1 scooter dragonet (about 2 and half years old)
2 ocellaris (about 2-2 1/2 months old)
I had a Fiji blue devil damsel but he was too aggressive and I had to bring him to LFS
I don't have yet but would also like to get a scarlet shrimp

Goal is to grow just soft corals and maybe a few sps down the line. I would also like to get an anemone for my clowns. Will this be sufficient enough Also seeking knowledge about anything and everything is appreciated. Im sure there is more I am missing and can't think of right now but if anyone can help me out id really appreciate it.

ihavecrabs

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey @Cooper924

#WelcometoR2R !

For test kits, I have found the most cost effective are Salifert. They'll last you a while too and should cost you less than $50 for the four you need (Alk, Calc, Mg, and Phosphate).

Skimmer, you can certainly pick them up used and save a significant amount. Otherwise you can probably save 40-50% on one over black friday.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 43.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 21.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 31 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.2%
Back