Please help

Pelly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone, i am new to this, have a 75 gallon tank for 5 months, started with 2 ocellaris after 2 weeks and brown algae bloom, 4 weeks later i added a neon dotty and coral beauty, 2 weeks later they got ich, put them in quarantine, 2 weeks later reintroduced and they died overnight as well as 1 ocellaris?! 1 week later i added 1 firefish goby, 2 sharknose goby and a blue head wrasse, all died overnight. I have a chocolate chip and brittle star, and 1 green crab and 1 sally.
Levels are 8.2 ph, 1.026 salinity, .25 ammonia(is this it?), 0 all else. Thanks

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
i 'm going to leave this for the experts,but poss
1 bad source for fish?
ph shock?
ammonia?..best wishes to turn this back on track
@Jay Hemdal @vetteguy53081 ? thoughts?

Bfragale

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello. Are you sure it wasn’t velvet or brook? From my experience ick is not as quick as velvet or brook and for them all to die over night sounds more like velvet or Brook to me. Do you have any photos?

im no expert- but I believe brook and velvet need 8-10 weeks of a fallow tank to go thru it’s life cycle and die in your main display. Ick is like 96 days or something like that.

personally I think you may need to identify what they actually have and then go fallow for the amount of time.
It sucks but probally the best way to eliminate reinfecting new fish.
Good luck my friend.

Mikedawg

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone, i am new to this, have a 75 gallon tank for 5 months, started with 2 ocellaris after 2 weeks and brown algae bloom, 4 weeks later i added a neon dotty and coral beauty, 2 weeks later they got ich, put them in quarantine, 2 weeks later reintroduced and they died overnight as well as 1 ocellaris?! 1 week later i added 1 firefish goby, 2 sharknose goby and a blue head wrasse, all died overnight. I have a chocolate chip and brittle star, and 1 green crab and 1 sally.
First of all I would stop adding any animals until you get a good sense of what is going on, e.g., what evidence do you have of their cause of death, if you have tried any remedies what effects have they had and so on. May want to consider starting over.

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to REEF2REEF!!! Lots of help already. Just help us to help you by providing more info and pictures are useful. Someone will chime in and guide you. Typically after you have had a parasite, you’ll need to run fallow (fishless) for a period of time. It could be from 45 days up to 76 depending on who you ask. This will help to let the parasites to live out their life cycle without a host.

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Assuming the tanks cycled you shouldn’t have any ammonia showing, but as already said that could be a test error

I would look into the source of were the fish are coming from, are they already diseased etc

I wouldn’t add anything else until you find the cause of the problems

And Welcome to R2R!!!

ScottJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sure if you stick with this forum, you will find help. Lots of very smart people here. One word of advice, take things VERY slowly! It's hard to wait things out, especially in this age of instant gratification. But, 'nothing good ever happens happens fast in a reef tank' are words to live by.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The tank needs to sit without fish for 45 days at 81 degrees to starve out ich or 6 weeks for velvet.

Adding fish just gets them infected as the parasite is in the tank now and not just on fish.

Disease is common in this hobby and with your tank being new... I would suggest Quarantining every fish you purchase before adding it to your display or this could happen again. This means either treating them with medications that work (copper, prazi, etc) or observing them for at least 30 days (which still isn’t a guarantee but will help avoid big killers like velvet).

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to REEF2REEF!!! Lots of help already. Just help us to help you by providing more info and pictures are useful. Someone will chime in and guide you. Typically after you have had a parasite, you’ll need to run fallow (fishless) for a period of time. It could be from 45 days up to 76 depending on who you ask. This will help to let the parasites to live out their life cycle without a host.
In other words, the pest that killed your fish can live without fish to attack & kill for almost 3 months. To avoid killing more fish you keep the tank running without fish for 3 months so the pest dies in your system.

That aside, Welcome to Reef2Reef. We do want to help you succeed and are glad you have joined us.
unexpected whale GIF

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
There are a few concerns . . . . .
I question age of tank ?
Type of test kits used as I am under impression , we are talking of a newer tank with zero readings which are not likely and even if aged tank, there were a lot of fish added quickly both before and after first disaster increasing the bioload quickly and likely ammonia and nitrate spikes may have occurred. After having what was thought to be ich, you responded not by addressing what parasite and treating accordingly but proceeded to add fish once again.
This is NOT a beat you up session, but rather pointing to where things may have gone wrong.

Are you by chance using API test kits?
Method of filtration?
Acclimation is a method of preparing fish from the bag to the tank. How did you acclimate and for how long ?

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

G Santana

Hospitality Elf
View Badges
Reaction score
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/this-little-pigg
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All I can say is knowledge and patience are a reefers best friend.
Stop and listen to the years of experience here. Learn and proceed with caution.

My tank is just shy of 3 months and all I have is two fish in a 130 gallon tank, why, because I am taking it slow, waiting for my tank to show signs of maturing. I have no real desire to buy stock that will die quickly.
This hobby is expensive and not for the Fast and Furious.
Good luck with your tank, but learn from your mistakes before moving forward!!!
ZomboMeme 07022021113235.jpg

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 20.0%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 47 36.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back