Long Time Aquarist. First time reefer!

Brazilian Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello All,

I actually had an account long ago. I got out of the community. Returned. Started my first reef tank after being in and out of the hobby since 2006. Military deployments and such.

Running
40Gallon Breeder
Seachem Tidal 110 Filter (Seachem, Carbon, Matrix, and Chemi-Pure Blue plus the two pads.)
AquaMax HOB Bullet-3 Skimmer. Not currently running. Waiting a few months to mature.
2- AI Prime 16 LED
2- AI Nero 3
2-100W Sicce Scuba Contactless Heaters.
Ice-Cap ATO

Livestock
2-Ocellaris ClownFish. (One of them I have had since 2015.)
1-Yellow Coris Wrasse.
1-Diamond Goby/Pistol Shrimp.
1-Rasta Zoa Colony with 10 polyps.
1-Ricordea Florida. (starting to split)
1-Tri-color Platy Gyra.
1- Neon Gonio Pora.
2-Neon Tip Torch.
1-Pink Tip Torch.
1-Blacklight Torch.
1-Christmas Favia.
1-Red/Orange Indo Chalice.
2-hammers.
1-Fathead Dendro.

All healthy!

13% weekly water changes. Change filters monthly. Have a RODI Water Changing station in my basement. Basically, two brutes. One for RO water and one for mixing. Heaters and circulation pumps in each. I have a booster pump on the RODI unit, but I still cannot get above 40psi. The only other issue I have is my alkalinity is sitting at 12dKH. Meh, maybe my Nitrates are a little high, but I just incorporated the 13% weekly change recently. I have noticed them decreasing each time I test weekly.

I think that is about it. Any and all suggestions are most welcome. Looking forward to spending too much time on here, lol.

Thanks

Andy
Seabees Can Do!
Welcome to R2R and Happy Reefing!

1112-425XL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
welcome-back-kotter-dance.gif

OP
OP
cbfrommo95

cbfrommo95

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello and welcome! Sounds like you have a nice setup, you should share some pictures of your tank.

There has to be an issue with your booster pump setup. Hows the water pressure in your house? My house pressure is naturally around 50-60 psi and the booster pump on its lowest setting immediately takes it up to 80 psi.

Also the alk is high at 12 dkh, I would personally try to get that down slowly. I've run high nitrates/phosphates and my corals didn't care. Just try and keep everything consistent and they will adapt.

1706186364736.png
Thank you. I am unsure about the house water pressure. We had a plumber take a look one time a few months back when he happen to be here. He was puzzled that it didn't put out more. I am still investigating. I am halfway through my resin, so I got a bit of time. I set it up this past October. I will read up on how to reduce the high alk. Andy

OP
OP
cbfrommo95

cbfrommo95

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!!!

What type of booster pump are you using? When was the last time you changed your sediment filter and ro membranes? It's interesting it still can't get over 40psi.

When I installed a booster it was an huge change and bumped me up to 75psi immediately once I adjusted it.
I am running an aquatech CDC 8800 booster pump.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back