Please ID These Critters

retiredsailor

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jun 7, 2014
Messages
196
Reaction score
95
Location
drums, pa
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had just finished reseating my Frags, topping off the water and dosing. I sat down and started playing with my IPAD when Wifey asked me what the heck I did to her corals? I went over and saw some funky worm looking things. My first thought is Spaghetti Worms, but I am far from being an expert. Hence my predicament.

I tried using my turkey baster to remove them without any luck. All that accomplished was making the coral angry and moved around a tiny bit.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg


Also, I saw another critter earlier but was unable to get a picture worth looking at. It was orange and about the size of a grain of rice, but not smooth. It burrowed into the sand and disappeared. Any educated guesses? My uneducated guess was some kind of nudibranch, but again, I'm no expert.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Ian
 
Yup; those are the coral's mesenterial filaments. Coral guts.
 
Thank you very much, Dave and Hunter. I will admit that I had to look it up, not because of disbelief but rather the fact I had never heard the name. I did consider that before posting (I've watched a lot of Nature and National Geographic and remember something that has it's stomach come out of the body to envelope prey) but was way too uncertain. Thanks again!

Ian
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 3 23.1%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 1 7.7%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 4 30.8%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 1 7.7%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 4 30.8%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new