Please look here, Wetside defects.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

bobssecrtsn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So For weeks I've been hitting my head figuring out why they sps would die within a month, from dipping, QTing process, waiting weeks for a sps free tank etc. I then tried Triton test.

a week past by and I get the results, High Tin in my system, 14 UG/l.

Found checked all my pumps, Magnets are GOOD. I then suck out the sand, and say " just for ***** lets check my 4-5month old mp40 QD wetsides"

Triton test does not lie, Found my cuprit. Call up ecotech and ask for a new wetside. no questions asked. They will send me 2 new ones.

A few days past and doing 10% WC daily, with only 1 mp60QD in my tank, I remove it, and behold, a hairline crack? What do you guys think? this mp60 is 1-2 months old I should add.

Same place where the rust was coming out of..

I believe it has to due to where both joints meet, It seems as if its to weak and causes it to crack like this.

I say Ecotech needs to warranty all wetsides, and have a solution for this.

As a result all my sps has perished leaving me only just 4-5 thats hanging on.

I wish I would have checked sooner..

My symptoms would include

excellent p.e for the first week, Encrust, then slowly no p.e, sps starts to fade and then rtn/stn from base or tips, in a matter of 2-3 weeks.

Please leave your input and I would recommend EVERYONE check their wetsides.

as well sorry for the bad grammer, P.OED about this hobby and all the money i spent on good equipment to have it fail so early and kill everything.

and YES, Its properly maintained and cleaned.

Sabellafella

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
So For weeks I've been hitting my head figuring out why they sps would die within a month, from dipping, QTing process, waiting weeks for a sps free tank etc. I then tried Triton test.

a week past by and I get the results, High Tin in my system, 14 UG/l.

Found checked all my pumps, Magnets are GOOD. I then suck out the sand, and say " just for ***** lets check my 4-5month old mp40 QD wetsides"

Triton test does not lie, Found my cuprit. Call up ecotech and ask for a new wetside. no questions asked. They will send me 2 new ones.

A few days past and doing 10% WC daily, with only 1 mp60QD in my tank, I remove it, and behold, a hairline crack? What do you guys think? this mp60 is 1-2 months old I should add.

Same place where the rust was coming out of..

I believe it has to due to where both joints meet, It seems as if its to weak and causes it to crack like this.

I say Ecotech needs to warranty all wetsides, and have a solution for this.

As a result all my sps has perished leaving me only just 4-5 thats hanging on.

I wish I would have checked sooner..

My symptoms would include

excellent p.e for the first week, Encrust, then slowly no p.e, sps starts to fade and then rtn/stn from base or tips, in a matter of 2-3 weeks.

Please leave your input and I would recommend EVERYONE check their wetsides.

as well sorry for the bad grammer, P.OED about this hobby and all the money i spent on good equipment to have it fail so early and kill everything.

and YES, Its properly maintained and cleaned.
Unfortunately its very very common. Every vortech ive owned rusted, in a short period of time as well. At the time i never tritoned tested, but i also was having tank problems with the vortechs at the time as well. Tin? Most likely the reason why. I would get that replaced, mp60s are expensive, and if its only 2 months old-id contact customer service

I triton tested(for the first time) about 8 months after ditching them, and i had tin (and manganese) present. Instead of the detox, i used metasorb from two little fishies to get it out

Last edited:

Mason Rice

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What test kits are you guys using to test triton? I only ask because I'm still new to this and I have mp60's. Thanks in advanced

pokerdobe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've also had this happen to me. It was on an MP10. My current MP10 seems ok for now... but the plastic sleeve around the rod guide has shattered. Debating if I should replace it.

Lowell Lemon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Again you should consider Tunze to replace this brand of pump. Never had a problem with their pumps...German made like a Porsche...rock solid, low energy consumption, reliable...three things you should look for in a pump.

reef lover

It's a reef thing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They all have their own issues I've had two tunze rust out on me and have since switched to vortex...now I feel I need to check them when I get home..lol

Lowell Lemon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They all have their own issues I've had two tunze rust out on me and have since switched to vortex...now I feel I need to check them when I get home..lol

I still have a tunze pump now about 15 years old doing great. Original impellor as well. The only time I have seen a Tunze pump rust is when the pump was allowed to run hot due to low water level or run dry resulting in the epoxy and case cracking. This is customer abuse not design flaw.

reef lover

It's a reef thing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never ran hot or dry either pump and they both rusted around the magnet.
I still have a tunze pump now about 15 years old doing great. Original impellor as well. The only time I have seen a Tunze pump rust is when the pump was allowed to run hot due to low water level or run dry resulting in the epoxy and case cracking. This is customer abuse not design flaw.

Sabellafella

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Lol my tunze pumps outlasted my tanks lifetime, over 5 years and i had to have only cleaned them once.

Frogspawn74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had the same issue as well. 2 of the 3 mp60 cracked on me as well. Switched to tunze and gyres. Won't recommend ecotech pumps at all. Also have their small return go out. Not sure yet if it is the pump or power supply. I put the jabeo 6000 that ran for almost 2 years prior to the supposed upgrade that lasted 9 month. Forgot to make claim within the year:(

Want2BS8ed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Similar issues here with Vortech's and no longer use them. Shame, because they are the least visually intrusive of the in-tank options IMO.

How are the Neptune WAVs holding up? Anyone experiencing similar separation/rusting issues?

KJAG

Rogue
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never personally experienced this issue but all three of the Vortechs (dry sides) I've owned took a crap after about a year and a half to two years max. I'll never own another Ecotech product.

KJAG

Rogue
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What a shame. I just purchased an MP40. I wish Ecotech would chime in here.
It is a shame. I have a 225 in-wall with one viewable panel( the front). My side panels and back panel are painted. It would be nice to just have a wet side viewable in my display with no cord but I refuse. I'll deal with the cord and the proven reliability of Tunze, personally.

Salty1962

Wrasse and SPS Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Similar issues here with Vortech's and no longer use them. Shame, because they are the least visually intrusive of the in-tank options IMO.

How are the Neptune WAVs holding up? Anyone experiencing similar separation/rusting issues?
I've been running the WAVs for 6 mths now and haven't had any issues. I take apart 1x month to clean and check and have found no rust or any other issues. Great pumps and very high output.

Salty1962

Wrasse and SPS Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never personally experienced this issue but all three of the Vortechs (dry sides) I've owned took a crap after about a year and a half to two years max. I'll never own another Ecotech product.
The old 40s are notorious for breaking when cleaning. Just a FYI for folks who have them to be careful cleaning;)

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 78 86.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 6.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.3%
Back