Please look here, Wetside defects.

Discussion in 'EcoTech Marine' started by bobssecrtsn, Feb 7, 2017.

1. atp0726

atp0726 Active Member

If I wanted an internal wave pump I know there are a lot of good options out there. I buy the Vortech's because of the small footprint and the motor housing being on the outside of the tank. To my knowledge their arent any other pumps on the market that offer this advantage. Until someone offers a solution that is a direct competitor to Vortechs I guess I will be checking my wetsides as part of my normal maintenance routing.

2. reefaboo

reefaboo Valuable Member

i got a feeling the older vortechs from 2011 2012 are made better than the ones comming out now ?

i have 3 one from 2012, one from 2014 and one from 2016 and guess which one is the loudest :( but all three have been working fine no rust as far as i know

3. tjnorthdakota

tjnorthdakota Active Member

You can bet that when ecotechs patent runs out on the dryside/wetside design other companies are going to push out a similar product, they probably already have something in the works just in testing stages.

atp0726 likes this.
  4. tjnorthdakota

tjnorthdakota Active Member

Just did some looking and design patents last 14yrs and the first vortechs came out around 2005 so that means by 2019 ecotech better step up their game because they wont be the only ones on the market anymore

5. Lowell Lemon

Lowell Lemon Well-Known Member

That is funny since China where the pumps are made does not honor international patents. In fact they are known for selling your tech out of the back door to other markets with another label.

6. bobssecrtsn

bobssecrtsn Active Member

They stated it was reef safe and is a lubricant when breaking in

7. Reefltx

Reefltx Well-Known Member

I have the same problem with a newer wetside. Hopefully it doesn't rust?

I think it's food grade

8. atp0726

atp0726 Active Member

I am sure Jebao already has one ready to go, lol!

9. thehammer1985

thehammer1985 Well-Known Member

Listen I'm not backing ecotech because that is some crap the large amount of failures and knowing mine will probably break... however I do have to point out an array of items that's leads me to believe this may be other sources of contamination "if" the tin caused the death. 1. I can't imagine any tin is utilized on the wetside. The magnet is more the likely a ferrous type magnet (iron) . With a plastic covering on it I doubt tin plating would be utilized. The extra expenses would not be worth the un added benefit it would "produce". Tin plating may be utilized on the propellor shaft but more than likely it a cheap 304 or 308 stainless steel consisting mainly of iron carbon and chromium. In the event tin was utilized the brown corrosion shown in the pictures are not tin corrosion that is more then likely ferrous oxide (rust) tin doesn't corrode in seawater as it only corrodes in highly alkaline situations (higher than our tank ph unless u for some reason keep it at 12) . Than we go to toxicity of marine animals with excess trace minerals and studies pertaining...

In almost all studies while arsenic lead vanadium and potassium have been in excess levels toxicity has presented itself however even when sn(tin) levels have been elevated due to pulltion toxicity hasn't been present until .1mg/l- 2.1mg/ml which is like ten times less than that of ur levels so although I think ecotech should start a recall on these maybe look elsewhere for ur tin concentrations and investable poisoning

smokin'reefer likes this.
  10. Mortie31

Mortie31 Active Member UK Reef Club Member

Not necessarily true magnets can be made of several ferrous materials especially if there permanent ones Alnico alloy is one such example, so if this starts breaking down it could leech, Al, Ni, Fe, Co, Cu and Ti, a lot will depend on what ecotech magnets are made of...

11. Rags2riches

Rags2riches Member

Just ordered two new wet sides,7 year old reef tank.I have lost many high end corals lately,wet Sid magnet rusty and splitting apart.Need to keep closer check on the new ones I guess.mp 40s

12. Neto

Neto Member

Same here, new wetside straight from ecotech and impeler broke after one month.

[​IMG]

13. Neto

Neto Member

Yes, I have one of the older ones and the wetsides are better than the new ones.

14. Jon Gracey

Jon Gracey Member

Honestly, that's the main reason I switched the the Gyre 230. I had an MP10 that ran for about 2 months in a new tank and the plastic had already start to split.

Draft saved Draft deleted