Status
Not open for further replies.

HBtank

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why a carpenter would suddenly be needed and that ridiculous $400 estimate to adjust the plumbing feels like scare tactics to overwhelm you and make you go away, Not cool.

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

10K Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got the tank supported. All I did was rip off the corners and add new 2” foam
The back of the tank is .5” off of the wood stand, but I put foam extending out. I’m pretty confident it will be fine.
image.jpg
image.jpg

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not to be "that guy (girl)", but the rest of the foam is compressed by the tank. The new foam is not, so is not actually supporting anything. Unless you drained and lifted the tank, and set the entire thing on a piece of foam, or several pieces with the same density, you're not much better off than before.

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

10K Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not to be "that guy (girl)", but the rest of the foam is compressed by the tank. The new foam is not, so is not actually supporting anything. Unless you drained and lifted the tank, and set the entire thing on a piece of foam, or several pieces with the same density, you're not much better off than before.
I had to use soap and pressure to get it to slide under. Both foams were 2”.

Isn’t it true that the old foam is currently lifting the tank up? It’s not like the sides of the tank starting dipping already?

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

10K Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, the bottom glass is 3/4” thick. The owner said it’s extremely unlikely to break even if the corners aren’t supported?

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had to use soap and pressure to get it to slide under. Both foams were 2”.

Isn’t it true that the old foam is currently lifting the tank up? It’s not like the sides of the tank starting dipping already?
Think about how much the tank weighs...

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, the bottom glass is 3/4” thick. The owner said it’s extremely unlikely to break even if the corners aren’t supported?
It's not a question of the glass breaking, it's the forces on the tank if it's not completely level... This increases exponentially with weight. A leveling mat is intended to even out any tiny irregularities in the stand or bottom of the tank so that it's fully supported.

I have no idea if your original install or this modification are problematic, but personally would not take any chances with such a large tank.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not a question of the glass breaking, it's the forces on the tank if it's not completely level... This increases exponentially with weight. A leveling mat is intended to even out any tiny irregularities in the stand or bottom of the tank so that it's fully supported.

I have no idea if your original install or this modification are problematic, but personally would not take any chances with such a large tank.
Plus, since the corners of the tank are the main points of failure (where the panes of glass come together), the pressure and/or being out of level in these spots are the most critical.

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

10K Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Erin,

In my heart I felt like my solution wasn’t optimal.

Luckily, I didn’t tell the manufacturer that I “figured it out” but I am definitely going to fight to REMOVE THE PLUMBING/TANK and bring it fully forward. I must.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Erin,

In my heart I felt like my solution wasn’t optimal.

Luckily, I didn’t tell the manufacturer that I “figured it out” but I am definitely going to fight to REMOVE THE PLUMBING/TANK and bring it fully forward. I must.
DF226B64-356F-4B97-A2AD-4A0F3A6BE258.gif

Projects with Sam

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
While in there, I would take the opportunity fill and gaps/cracks with Spackle/caulk in the walls, and repaint the whole area. If going through the hassle of it may as well get it done so five years down the line you don't wish you had.
I think it'd only be a little extra time for the fish in buckets.

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

10K Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While in there, I would take the opportunity fill and gaps/cracks with Spackle/caulk in the walls, and repaint the whole area. If going through the hassle of it may as well get it done so five years down the line you don't wish you had.
I think it'd only be a little extra time for the fish in buckets.

looks like you may have already done it.
I don’t understand what you mean? I wasn’t aware that I had cracks in my walls?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 2.0%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 28 14.2%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 94 47.7%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 63 32.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.5%
Back