Please think about what you write before you post and be KIND.

mike werner

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lately I have read several posts that I find unkind.For the most part our community is made up of what I consider the kindest people around.Positive people giving positive advice and comments.That is what myself and most have migrated to this site for and because of.
I post it in this forum because it seems to be viewed by the most members and I want as many members as possible to see it.
Today I happened upon another post in a thread that was border line rude to a person who was just trying to become part of our family.I won't go into what was posted or said but one members response just ruffled my feathers.I wanted to respond back but being angry at the moment I thought it was best to sit on my response and not be "that guy".I figured instead of letting that one person know what I thought of his negativity I would reach out to the community and ask that they remember to ALWAYS BE KIND and or POSITIVE in their responces.To me it just seemed to be a better approach to what was angering me.More flies with honey would be my approach this time.
So I ask our members to please be mindful of your posts.Be courteous and considerate to others when posting.It is a big part of what has made r2r so successful.I'm sure the guy who started this site would agree.

Last edited:

Muttley000

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for posting this. I found myself in a similar situation a week or so ago. I didnt respond and just used the ignore button for the first time here. This forum has been set apart from others by the friendliness and lack of flaming, we all need to help keep it that way!

Captain Quint

Plank Owner of the Orca
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I couldn't agree anymore and indeed this is by far the best, wholesome, compassionate, helpful, friendly forum I've ever been on. These good folks are the reason I've made R2R my home site.

There are a few who seem bitter, callous and caustic in some responses but are pretty much tuned out the good folk residing here and never make it into the circle of who we want to associate with.

Thanks for starting this thought invoking thread mike werner perhaps it will make a difference in some future negative responses turning into helpful ones instead.

OP
OP
mike werner

mike werner

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I couldn't agree anymore and indeed this is by far the best, wholesome, compassionate, helpful, friendly forum I've ever been on. These good folks are the reason I've made R2R my home site.

There are a few who seem bitter, callous and caustic in some responses but are pretty much tuned out the good folk residing here and never make it into the circle of who we want to associate with.

Thanks for starting this thought invoking thread mike werner perhaps it will make a difference in some future negative responses turning into helpful ones instead.
Captain You could not have said it better!
Being kind costs nothing but may be of great value to the one receiving it.

Sea MunnKey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately there's trolls and haters abound especially online where they get their kicks out of irritating and annoying others by their negative and rude approach. We just had a local reefer, not sure if I can term him as a (ex)member, since 2011 who finally got banned from our reef forum. Sadly our local forum don't have full time moderators unlike R2R and thus the ongoing negativity ... until everyone started complaining. ;Bored

This hobby is all about learning and sharing our experiences and knowledges alike and not about "I'm Better than you" attitude. Honestly even after all these years we are still learning the art of reef keeping, be it old school or high tech methods.

Knowledge is Sharing ;)

Captain Quint

Plank Owner of the Orca
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Captain You could not have said it better!
Being kind costs nothing but may be of great value to the one receiving it.

Thank you, but actually, I think you said it best. :)

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree that civility and writing in a constructive vein is something we should all strive to accomplish (even if I fail sometimes); but I do think that criticism properly provided is often more helpful than blind praise. Some people are so thin skinned that they cannot take even the hint of criticism - but then that is their problem not mine. So I will always be polite and constructive. It is also hard to convey humor or sarcasm in an online forum. I've posted things intended that way, or as devil's advocate, that somebody always manages to miss or mis-interpret.

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always think of the movie 'Pay It Forward' when I post. So many people have helped me get to where I am in this world, so I want to 'pay it forward' and help out others.
If you haven't seen the movie, it's at your local library, borrow it and consider living by the idea!

Super Fly

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for posting this. I found myself in a similar situation a week or so ago. I didnt respond and just used the ignore button for the first time here. This forum has been set apart from others by the friendliness and lack of flaming, we all need to help keep it that way!
had no idea there was an "ignore" button! lol ... where is it please?

norfolkgarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I apologize. Sometimes I am weak and cant help myself.

I didn't know I was weak until someone here kindly pointed it out to me. In a caring and helpful way of course.
Always look forward to your posts!
[emoji4]

I have learned a lot from you in look forward to reading your contributions.
[emoji4]

Breadman03

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
had no idea there was an "ignore" button! lol ... where is it please?

Click on a person's screen name to open their profile page. On a web browser, you will see a couple options to the right of the user name. They are report, ignore, or follow. Note that reporting there will report the user. I assume the mods would then review recent postings. If there is a specific post you are concerned about, I'd suggest reporting that post with the link within the thread.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A goal of message boards is to spread information, and usually the most effective way is to be positive and to have the mindset to teach and to learn.

The ultimate goal, however, is not to create a safe space for reefers, but to create a healthy environment for the animals we keep, and sometimes the truth can hurt.

... just my opinion.

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A goal of message boards is to spread information, and usually the most effective way is to be positive and to have the mindset to teach and to learn.

The ultimate goal, however, is not to create a safe space for reefers, but to create a healthy environment for the animals we keep, and sometimes the truth can hurt.

... just my opinion.

It is a good opinion. Corals & fish are under our care and stewardship. They don’t get their feelings hurt, they die when we fail to provide proper conditions for there well being.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 28 21.4%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 96 73.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.8%
Back