Plumbing a 120 reef ready

coastkid

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking at a herbie overflow style. Have a 1” and 3/4” hole on both back corners. From reading looking at using both 1” holes for E-drains. One 3/4” for siphon and the other for return.
Any and all ideas welcome. This looks like a solid method but want to hear some experiences.

image.jpg

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So your planing to have your return pump up into one of the Overflow boxes? I'm not crazy about that, why not make them all drains and do the return separately?

OP
OP
C

coastkid

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Return would spill out into the display from that box. Wouldn’t necessarily spill inside the overflow. I really don’t want to do any plumbing outside of the tank, if I can avoid it.

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting, I've never heard of that design. In theory it sounds good but I think you'd have to throttle your return way down to not have it spraying all over the box and getting into your emergency drain.

Maybe put a 90 degree elbow on top of the return line and have it come out of a sealed bulkhead on the Overflow box? But still you are hurting your drain capabilities by only having one side with a working drain (besides the emergency).

My vote is still do a separate return and leave the drain alone but hopefully others can chime in as well

OP
OP
C

coastkid

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So double drains and double emergency with a return built up behind the tank. I was hoping to avoid the exterior plumbing but if that is the recommended way I need to do more research. The return would flow into the display outside of the overflow box in my design. I would 90 it and put it through the hole next to the weir. The big question is whether or not one siphon is enough in the 3/4” hole and pipe.

image.jpg image.jpg

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry I'm far from a plumbing guru and I do like the idea of not having any plumbing handing behind the tank. I'm just a fan of multiple main drains. Lets see if anyone else has ideas #DIYwizards

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why make it so complicated? I have a 120RR with the same drain holes. I've been running variations of the Durso standpipe for years. Recently set up this tank again and bought new standpipes with the strainers from Richard. Modified them with a 3/8 valve on top and they are silent. No slurping. Water level stays constant in the overflow boxes and each return is driven by a Cor20 throttled back.

OP
OP
C

coastkid

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you share a pic of that? I understand the Durso but want to see some examples.

OP
OP
C

coastkid

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so is that the same on both sides? Do you have an emergency drain?

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same on both sides. No emergency drain. 18" of strainer would have to clog which would take a few years of neglect, as well as high level optical to fail in the overflow box.

OP
OP
C

coastkid

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what I have so far. Looking at getting a longer strainer. Also a pipe that is not cut in half.

image.jpg image.jpg

OP
OP
C

coastkid

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two of these on hand. Just need to build out the return lines and get the long strainer.

image.jpg

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those will work. You can either make your own strainers or buy them from Durso for $14 each.

Then pick up the valves at Lowes

The push to connect fitting

And some 3/8 tubing.

OP
OP
C

coastkid

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So on the return are you teeing to return both sides from the sump? One return pump? Then gate valve on both branches?

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No. I have 2 return pumps so each return is separate. I have a ball valve before each bulkhead.

OP
OP
C

coastkid

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok so after doing a bunch of research I am going with the dual siphon and dual return. I will be using two sensors for water level in the tank that will kill the return pump if triggered. I wanted to get an opinion on the overflow plumbing. The pic is what I am doing. Please let me know.

Attachments

• OverFlow.JPG
    OverFlow.JPG
    153.3 KB · Views: 50

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those are going to gurgle like a toilet. What happened to the other setup?

OP
OP
C

coastkid

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I went back and forth for a while and decided that these would be good. I don’t think they will make noise with full siphon on them. At least from what I have read.

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Easy to change out if they do. Post up your results when it's running.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 186 72.9%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 17 6.7%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 46 18.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.4%
Back