Plumbing a display refugium

tas

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am planning a new tank and stand. The stand will be custom made and will be taller than normal. ( I like my tank to be higher up when I am looking into it.)
For this display I am thinking about having a display refugium planted with macros algae. It will run on an opposite schedule to my tank and will help some with nutrient export but also be a different type of ecosphere.
I want everyone's opinion on if the plumbing idea I have would work and if it is a good idea or...terrible. The whole display refugium is new to me so there is a learning curve I am sure!

the DT will drain as normal (Bean animal) into the Sump. However on the main drain there will be a tee that will divert some water the the refugium. The refugium will sit under the tank and slightly off to the left.

From the Refugium water will drain via gravity through a pipe and into the return section of the Sump. There will be an emergency over flow pipe 3 inches above the main DR drain.

From the sump all water will be returned to the DT as normal.

Thanks for the help and the input.

Display refugium idea.jpg

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You might be better off T-ing from your return pump or use a separate pump to supply water to the fuge instead of using the main drain. The main drain needs to keep a full siphon, if that gets broken up, then you're dealing with constant noise, bubbles, etc.
I'm setting up a 25g lagoon and I'm going to have a mangrove/clam display to the side and I'm going to use a feed pump from the sump to supply it. I'll also have a fuge in the sump or on it's own, but if it's separated from the sump, then it will be gravity fed from the mangroves at a slower rate.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back