Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Terence

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know how Michael from the office would respond to that!

If you could go 1.5" all the way to the tank it would be great. Heck the best is 2". Then you put a 2" wye or tee, reduce to 1", and the. Have that go directly into the tank or through a sea swirl. No locline. That would get you maximum flow potential. The smaller the pipe and the more fittings, the less flow. Now with the Abyzz it is less noticeable because they do well against head pressure. Still, go big.

bif24701

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know how Michael from the office would respond to that!

If you could go 1.5" all the way to the tank it would be great. Heck the best is 2". Then you put a 2" wye or tee, reduce to 1", and the. Have that go directly into the tank or through a sea swirl. No locline. That would get you maximum flow potential. The smaller the pipe and the more fittings, the less flow. Now with the Abyzz it is less noticeable because they do well against head pressure. Still, go big.

When it comes to tank plumbing GO BiG, especially the return lines. Larger ID PVC/hoses let the water travel slower and reduces drag (head pressure lose). Going larger on a drain line can help prevent clogs but too large and could create noise.

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Got the pump plumbed into my plumbing that was already there. I will be taking time in the next few weeks to redo the plumbing and go with bigger PVC.

You live and hopefully you learn!

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
One thing about these pumps is they can be loud as the bearings break in. Mine was pretty loud day one. But today it's almost silent.

boozeman27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got any pictures of how you plumbed it? Is it still silent? I'm hating the whine coming from my Vectra L1.

PedroYoung

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone? Standard PVC primer and glue ok?

Here in the U.S. the distributor supplies Metric to US fittings that you use a PVC to ABS "transition cement", then standard PVC glue from there. If you are using straight PVC fittings you need to use the ABS to PVC cement for that fitting.

samparker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hmmm I too have some ABS fittings, but have been told to use PVC glue on them. Might look into this transition cement.....

PedroYoung

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got the pump plumbed into my plumbing that was already there. I will be taking time in the next few weeks to redo the plumbing and go with bigger PVC.

You live and hopefully you learn!

Rev, any chance you could post a pic of the plumbing on your Abyzz A200 to update this thread? I'm about to get into plumbing mine and I'm feeling just like you did when you started this post. I have the same adapters, but unsure exactly how to get it all together.

LV3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@revhtree I have the Abyzz A200 and am fumbling through getting it plumbed. What did you end up doing to get this going? Thanks!

PedroYoung

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@revhtree I have the Abyzz A200 and am fumbling through getting it plumbed. What did you end up doing to get this going? Thanks!
I'll chime in since I'm still waiting on the response from 11/2017 with what I'm doing. Not sure what the pumps are shipping with now, but when I got mine they came with 2 grey adapters (see Revh's earlier post). After some fumbling around I realized how to use them. They slip OVER the metric connections on the inlet/outlet like this..
Untitled by Peter Young, on Flickr

top view

that adapter has the same OD as 1.5" PVC (or 2" on the inlet) so you put a union over that piece like this......

Then you can plumb however you'd like. I'm doing submersible so I went with 1.5" barbed fitting....

So that I can use the very difficult to find and ridiculously expensive thick walled silicone tubing to the sump bulkhead...

Here is a picture showing the 2" inlet adapter

Please note these are all dry fitted right now, I'm still in the (lengthy) process of getting fully plumbed. Abyzz was recommending using a ABS to PVC transition cement rather than straight PVC glue since the body is ABS but I haven't progressed to that stage yet. Let me know how it goes with yours.

EDIT: Not sure what's up with the rotated pics, I've never had that happen before and I've posted many pics. Hopefully you'll still get the idea.

LV3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did something similar but didn’t have the pvc adapters. I used 1.5” flex PVC directly on the outlet with ABS to PVC transition cement. Then a union fitting on the flex PVC.

05C4836F-0DFA-4B15-B501-7807909F05BA.jpeg

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@revhtree
Great thread, my freind

But, I've got the A100 and plumbed to the below link.

Just passing it along

Zbryant

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll chime in since I'm still waiting on the response from 11/2017 with what I'm doing. Not sure what the pumps are shipping with now, but when I got mine they came with 2 grey adapters (see Revh's earlier post). After some fumbling around I realized how to use them. They slip OVER the metric connections on the inlet/outlet like this..

top view

that adapter has the same OD as 1.5" PVC (or 2" on the inlet) so you put a union over that piece like this......

Then you can plumb however you'd like. I'm doing submersible so I went with 1.5" barbed fitting....

So that I can use the very difficult to find and ridiculously expensive thick walled silicone tubing to the sump bulkhead...

Here is a picture showing the 2" inlet adapter

Please note these are all dry fitted right now, I'm still in the (lengthy) process of getting fully plumbed. Abyzz was recommending using a ABS to PVC transition cement rather than straight PVC glue since the body is ABS but I haven't progressed to that stage yet. Let me know how it goes with yours.

EDIT: Not sure what's up with the rotated pics, I've never had that happen before and I've posted many pics. Hopefully you'll still get the idea.

where did you find the “very difficult to find and ridiculously expensive thick walled silicone tubing”? Is it 1.5 inch?

PedroYoung

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
where did you find the “very difficult to find and ridiculously expensive thick walled silicone tubing”? Is it 1.5 inch?
Yes, it's 1.5". I got it from Abyzz via Coralvue. Had to buy 1 meter, only needed about 8".

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back