plumbing help

gordy2988

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked up on older tank, and now ready to work on my filter plumbing. last owner had a sump system and added an overflow or bypass. I have never used one of these before and not really sure how it works. will I be able to set it up to use my canister style filter? how will the tank water get into this area? will it stop working if my water level drops?
I have attached a photo of it.

Attachments

• IMG_2854.jpg
    IMG_2854.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 97

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I picked up on older tank, and now ready to work on my filter plumbing. last owner had a sump system and added an overflow or bypass. I have never used one of these before and not really sure how it works. will I be able to set it up to use my canister style filter? how will the tank water get into this area? will it stop working if my water level drops?
I have attached a photo of it.
With this type of overflow system in the tank, the tank water level will stay consistent and the water level in the sump will vary. Whereas, with a tank that has a canister filter and is not drilled then the water in the filter remains consistent and the water level in the tank changes. Are you opposed to using a sump?

OP
OP
G

gordy2988

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With this type of overflow system in the tank, the tank water level will stay consistent and the water level in the sump will vary. Whereas, with a tank that has a canister filter and is not drilled then the water in the filter remains consistent and the water level in the tank changes. Are you opposed to using a sump?

The tank is drilled with two bulkhead fittings. I was not planning on using a sump, and was hoping to use my canister filter. just trying to figure out how to make it work with the bypass or over already installed,,,,

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The tank is drilled with two bulkhead fittings. I was not planning on using a sump, and was hoping to use my canister filter. just trying to figure out how to make it work with the bypass or over already installed,,,,

You could always leave the water level below the top of the overflow, but may not be as visually attractive as if the tank was filled all the way up. If you just cap the bulk heads and fill the tank all the way up then you create a dead space in the overflow section.

One reasonable option would be to cap the bulkheads and put a small pond pump in the overflow chamber with a return hose to the main part of the tank to eliminate dead space. At this point you could run the canister filter in the standard configuration. Personally I wouldn’t try to plumb the canister through the bulkheads. Good luck!

ReefHog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Plug the bulkheads. Then put your canister filter siphon in the overflow and the return in the tank. This will give you the added benefit of surface skimming. As the water level drops you will need to top it off. Or diy an ATO in the overflow

OP
OP
G

gordy2988

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
update,,, I contacted the guy I bought the tank from, and just picked up the sump and pump. so I'm going to run the sump system. this will be my first time using a sump, and so far the only question I have is, what type of media do I run inside the sump? bio balls? live rock?

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I encourage you to read the R2R article called Sumps: The Rundown.

How much live rock do you plan to have in the tank? You may not need additional biological media in the sump. Most reefers have moved away from the blue bio-balls.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back