Plumbing issues back siphon

SplitBumper-70

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the way the plumping was done when I bought the tank. This issue I had was the checkvalve one evening stuck open when I was cleaning the filter and almost flooded the house. I hate how it plumbed as I am relying on a check valve to avert disaster. If I try and utilize any of the valves on the manifold it will back siphon when the pump is off from the returns. One thought I had was to remove the plumbing on the returns and go up over the back of the tank. Any thoughts and suggestions? I do like the return if its possible to plumb it correctly

Tank is a 300 gallon. And yes I know I need the front

Thanks
Marty

IMG_6932.JPG

IMG_6934.JPG

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Simple, but a REAL pain to plumb in. Close off the bottom bulkhead and run the same size pipe up and over. Reconnect the returns and drill a hole in that pipe around the waterline of the tank. I would recommend 3/16" or 1/4" this will obviously spray water out of it so do it in a place where this won't be an issue, usually just below the waterline facing downwards if possible. This will act as a siphon break when you shut the pump off. You do need to make sure this hole stays clean but that's not overly difficult.

If you have the room you can even do what I did as I had the same issue as you and plumb in a valve at the top point of the over the back return and this acts as your siphon break. You can tune it to a quiet slower flow and to clean it all you do is turn the valve fully open then back down to where you had it. I cleaned mine once every few months and not once had an issue.

Last edited:

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 28 30.4%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 22 23.9%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 23 25.0%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 19 20.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back