Plumbing Question/ Issue with new build.

Sdot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reef family i need your help! Im upgrading to a larger reef aquarium, this time around i decided to open up the credit card and really spec out the new build. I thought i did a good job during the planning phase but i overlooked some plumbing items and i need your help/ guidance on solving my issue. The tank will be hard plumbed, the sump is a closed design sump based on my specific requests. I need to figure out how to plumb my media reactor to a closed design sump (Meaning it has lids for every compartment, no clean option to drop a hose in a compartment). Please see pix below. I do not want drill holes in the sump unless i have no other choice. Im thinking about combing the drains of the media reactor and refugium together? Please share your thoughts.

SmartSelect_20200112-195606_Facebook.jpg
SmartSelect_20200112-195903_Facebook (1).jpg

1580164668173.png

1580166875928.png

scottedontknow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
doesnt seem that hard to keep it all nice and clean! i would plumb it with a manifold, have one go to the right side of the refug then have the bulkhead on the left drain back into the return section. as for the reactor i would also have that come off the manifold (mount it somewhere in the stand) then just have it drain back into the sump!

OP
OP
Sdot

Sdot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
doesnt seem that hard to keep it all nice and clean! i would plumb it with a manifold, have one go to the right side of the refug then have the bulkhead on the left drain back into the return section. as for the reactor i would also have that come off the manifold (mount it somewhere in the stand) then just have it drain back into the sump!
How would you have it drain back into the sump? There are no free drain holes....

Last edited:

Meldrath

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You only need 3 drains at most unless you're undersized on the plumbing. 1 main drain, 1 emergency drain (which in theory could be combined with your reactor drain as you shouldn't have more than a trickle going into it anyways) and if it does get used, it would just back drain to the reactor and cause some more head pressure on the pump and 1 maybe "manifold" drain for everything else with a check valve behind all the joins for the drain to prevent back flow.

Honestly depending on flow output from the reactor (calc, carbon, gfo, kalk)?? you may be able to drop them into the john guest fitting, may have to pull up a flow rate calculator based on ID of the hose and a flow meter from the output of the pump.

scottedontknow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It does... one on the top and one on the side. Top hole will get flow from the manifold and from the overflow in the fuge drain back to the sump
are we talking about the reactor then? because if the refug is getting water from the top then it can drain right into the sump return section. you could tie your reacror into youre second drain line via a "y" fitting.

scottedontknow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ya i mean unless its a 400g tank and youre pushing 2000GPH through it that should work just fine! id say you can add it to your emergency drain but that would be very loud.

OP
OP
Sdot

Sdot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes exactly! but just add in that "Y" on the second drain and you should be good to go! Unless you want to drill another hole (i wouldnt).
No i don't want to drill a hole... lol!!! My concern is back pressure from water on gravity fed drains.... could that be an issue?

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 11 7.2%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 28 18.4%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 101 66.4%
  • Neither.

Votes: 7 4.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.3%
Back