Plumbing question

seaplane

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm about to plumb an Eshopps S overflow . I'm using vinyl tubing except where a gate valve will be added to a pvc pipe that will connect into the box.
My question is do I need to glue the pipe and the valve together ? The connection seems pretty tight to me .

pshootr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm about to plumb an Eshopps S overflow . I'm using vinyl tubing except where a gate valve will be added to a pvc pipe that will connect into the box.
My question is do I need to glue the pipe and the valve together ? The connection seems pretty tight to me .
Definitely glue your PVC connections

dugthefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anything on the dry side should be glued, clamped, or otherwise sealed. I would not glue the pvc inserts INSIDE the overflow box itself.

Even Further

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It depends on what kind of valve you have. Slip or Socket Weld should be glued, NPT should not be glued. NPT should use NPT joint sealant compound.

If this is a gate valve, my preference is to use a NPT valve and NPT x slip adapter. That way I could remove the valve later if needed, without trashing it.

It sounds like you are dry fitting slip joints by saying "seems pretty tight". If it is slip (no threads) the joint 100% needs to be glued.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 26.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 33.1%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 41 30.8%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 9 6.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back