Plumbing question

Funwithreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
upgrading from two Biocube 32s to a 120 with 30 gallon sump. Sump is probably going to be laid out like this: drain, filter socks, protein skimmer, fuge and return. Planning to plumb in 2 media chambers, one for carbon and one for GFO. 2 questions:

1. Is it best to plumb this in with a manifold off my main return line/pump or set up as separate system on Sepe rate pump?

2. Is it best to draw from the return chamber and drain to the return chamber? Or something else.

I haven’t purchased a return pump yet but I’m looking at the Sicce 9.0.
Appreciate any input.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
upgrading from two Biocube 32s to a 120 with 30 gallon sump. Sump is probably going to be laid out like this: drain, filter socks, protein skimmer, fuge and return. Planning to plumb in 2 media chambers, one for carbon and one for GFO. 2 questions:

1. Is it best to plumb this in with a manifold off my main return line/pump or set up as separate system on Sepe rate pump?

2. Is it best to draw from the return chamber and drain to the return chamber? Or something else.

Appreciate any input.
1. I like a separate pump not a manifold.
2. Do you mean for the GFO and Carbon? its unclear what you mean by 'return chamber' - if you mean the area where the return pump is, I would draw from where the water is coming into the tank - and return it to the chamber where the return pump is.
3. I would suggest the protein skimmer after the refugium. since part of the Refugiums 'job' is also to remove nutrients.
4. I like the Sick Pumps.

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Appreciate any input.

I do not know if there is a best. I prefer a separate return and reactor pump.

My setup pulls from the return chamber and flows back to the return chamber

OP
OP
Funwithreefer

Funwithreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. I like a separate pump not a manifold.
2. Do you mean for the GFO and Carbon? its unclear what you mean by 'return chamber' - if you mean the area where the return pump is, I would draw from where the water is coming into the tank - and return it to the chamber where the return pump is.
3. I would suggest the protein skimmer after the refugium. since part of the Refugiums 'job' is also to remove nutrients.
4. I like the Sick Pumps.
Yes, separate carbon and gfo reactors. And yes I meant where the return pump would go. Not sure I can do the fuge before the protein skimmer because of the way the sump is laid out but I may try. Someone else told me that as well.

OP
OP
Funwithreefer

Funwithreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not know if there is a best. I prefer a separate return and reactor pump.

My setup pulls from the return chamber and flows back to the return chamber
I’ was hoping to reduce plumbing by using the manifold on the return line due to space constraints but seems like it would be a lot easier to regulate flows with two pumps.

X-37B

Fight the Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Manifold is fine. On my 120 my return splits to the remote fuge.
I run a 40 breeder with no baffles and it is super easy to manage equipment, skimmer, carx, media reactor, 7" filter sock.
Most sump fuges on a 120 will be to small to be effective. Plus you really dont want light in your fuge.
An algae reactor would be a better fit.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yes, separate carbon and gfo reactors. And yes I meant where the return pump would go. Not sure I can do the fuge before the protein skimmer because of the way the sump is laid out but I may try. Someone else told me that as well.
If you take both sources of water from where the return pump goes - you will be recirculating clean water back through your reactors which is less efficient. I would definitely take them from different compartments.

Here is a personal comment - what is the purpose of your refugium? I eventually found it wasn't worth the effort - and didn't see any loss of stability/benefit when I took it out. A protein skimmer would seem to be a much more important piece of equipment (to me).

Since you're using Carbon and GFO already - I'm not sure a refugium is a huge benefit (I know there is going to be debate about that lol - thats just my opinion).

About the manifold, it certainly can work - I think the main reason I reconsidered using it - is that if your return pump stops, everything else will stop too, your reactors, etc - which can result in anaerobic conditions in your reactors, etc - which is avoided if water (even if from the sump) is still flowing through them.

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About the manifold, it certainly can work - I think the main reason I reconsidered using it - is that if your return pump stops, everything else will stop too, your reactors, etc - which can result in anaerobic conditions in your reactors, etc - which is avoided if water (even if from the sump) is still flowing through them.

The flip side of that is if his pump to the reactors stop then he has the same exact scenario which could have been avoided if they were tied into his still working return. Neither scenario is the better one in that regard.

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I would use the manifold. Mostly because I dont consider any reason not to a compelling one and it is one less piece of equipment to fail. I like to have backups for all essential equipment and in that scenario I only have 1 pump and one backup.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The flip side of that is if his pump to the reactors stop then he has the same exact scenario which could have been avoided if they were tied into his still working return. Neither scenario is the better one in that regard.
Not entirely - there will still be oxygenated water flowing through the sump. when the return pump fails there will be no oxygenated water anywhere. Anyway - I'm not disagreeing with you - there are many pros and cons for both sides - It depends exactly on how your plumbing is set up and what equipment you're using. For example - carbon reactors and GFO reactors tend to 'clog' over time - which then means more flow through the skimmer - which mean different pieces of eqipment can get different flows depending on that. I don't think this is as much of an issue - if you're just splitting into a return, and 2 reactors. But - if one piece of equipment starts to get clogged, it results in more strain on the pump - due to the closed valve on the return. Again - not trying to argue - just pointing out there are advantages and disadvantages:)

OP
OP
Funwithreefer

Funwithreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the feedback. There are definitely so many differing views on all of this so I try to mix the advice from the experts with my own research. Clearly every set up is different and can produce different results. I’ve gone against advice I’ve received and read and have had good results. But I’m still learning and appreciate the feedback.

OP
OP
Funwithreefer

Funwithreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So follow up question. I’m now leaning towards just having a manifold on a separate pump feeding the carbon and gfo reactors. GFO will only run when needed but when figuring out what size pump to use for these two reactors, would I add the min/max flow rating on the two reactors to determine what size pump I need? I would be getting something adjustable. Possible the Sicce SDC 3.0.

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is what I have on order to replace my mag pump that is for my reactors.

Kayanarka

Peg Leg Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a personal comment - what is the purpose of your refugium? I eventually found it wasn't worth the effort - and didn't see any loss of stability/benefit when I took it out. A protein skimmer would seem to be a much more important piece of equipment (to me).
I run my refugium for the extra CO2 removal at night.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 74 51.7%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 73 51.0%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.2%
  • None.

Votes: 31 21.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.3%
Back