plumbing question

Funwithreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Posted earlier about whether to use a manifold off my return line to feed two media reactors….carbon and gfo. My drains are 1 inch and return is currently 3/4. Would it make sense to use 1 inch from the pump to the manifold and then a reducer off manifold to go down to 3/4 running to the bulkhead?

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whatever is going to be easiest IMO. Personally I like redundancy and would use two return pumps and a third pump fo rthe carbon and GFO

jgirardnrg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just ran a T off my return and added a single outlet (for now) to run the UV. You might be over thinking things a little. Not much flow needs tog o through a reactor so any restrictions wouldn't really matter. Just make sure your return pump is up to the job.

Pic for reference:
IMG_3719.jpeg

OP
OP
Funwithreefer

Funwithreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just ran a T off my return and added a single outlet (for now) to run the UV. You might be over thinking things a little. Not much flow needs tog o through a reactor so any restrictions wouldn't really matter. Just make sure your return pump is up to the job.

Pic for reference:
IMG_3719.jpeg
I do have a tendency to overthink things. Haha. I like the T idea. I’m planning to have two reactors though which is why I was going to do a manifold. I was more asking about the size pvc. Tank isn’t running yet as I’m doing the set up. It currently has 3/4 as the return line. Wondering if I should go up to 1 inch or if it even matters

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you use two return pumps? I only have a single return line to the display.

It is possible. Basically you have the two pumps running in parallel. Meeting with a wye connector. Then going to your manifold. It will increase pressure, but is a redundancy that is automated.

I have had this setup in the past and likely will again soon, but i also have put each pump on a seperate electric breaker. A tripped gfci sadly happening more than i would like.

If you went this route you need to use check valves on the line from each pump before the wye.

I am not saying you need to do all this. I think it for those of us who worry too much

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do have a tendency to overthink things. Haha. I like the T idea. I’m planning to have two reactors though which is why I was going to do a manifold. I was more asking about the size pvc. Tank isn’t running yet as I’m doing the set up. It currently has 3/4 as the return line. Wondering if I should go up to 1 inch or if it even matters

I would do the manifold and put at least 1 extra capped dead end. Its a lot easier when down the line you decide you need the latest and greatest extra piece of equipment, or remote refugium, etc.

I think if you increase to 1" in theory it may help flow a bit but i really doubt it would make a significant difference

jgirardnrg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a manifold ready built that will hook up right where that single outlet is. I just don't need it yet and maybe never will. I can just unscrew what's the and pop in my dual outlet manifold.

OP
OP
Funwithreefer

Funwithreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would do the manifold and put at least 1 extra capped dead end. Its a lot easier when down the line you decide you need the latest and greatest extra piece of equipment, or remote refugium, etc.

I think if you increase to 1" in theory it may help flow a bit but i really doubt it would make a significant difference
That’s partially what I was planning as well. Anticipating future expansion. My thinking was that I would lose less head pressure with a bigger return pipe. But I’m also looking at the Sicce 7.0 or 9.0 which I think will be way more than I need so in the end it may not matter

OP
OP
Funwithreefer

Funwithreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a manifold ready built that will hook up right where that single outlet is. I just don't need it yet and maybe never will. I can just unscrew what's the and pop in my dual outlet manifold.
This is my first sump set up so I’m over eager. I am limited on space however. Just trying to plan ahead in case I want to add to it later and won’t have to replumb everything.

OP
OP
Funwithreefer

Funwithreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my first sump set up so I’m over eager. I am limited on space however. Just trying to plan ahead in case I want to add to it later and won’t have to replumb

jdiefenbaugh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
T off the return to the manifold, and return those to the sump. It depends how much flow you want to get from your return pump, but most media reactors only need 1/2" lines. I would caution against using carbon actively like that, though. It's apt to put fines into the water and can lead to HLLE. Passively in a media bag is fine, IMO. Here is a pic of mine for reference. 1.5" plumbing, reduced to 3/4" for the manifold, and then reduced to 1/2" to the reactors.

GetAttachmentThumbnail-7.jpg

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would use a seperate line behind the system. Having had multiple pumps of different brands fail over the years with out any much warning I prefer to have multiple return pumps and keep the plumbing as simple as possible so they can be replaced quickly when needed.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 66 51.6%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 52.3%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 32 25.0%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.0%
Back