Plumbing questions need some guidence

ageno125

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am currently setting up a 180 DT system with a 75g sump and have two questions for ya'll

1) I already have a Panworld 200 PS 1750GPH that will have 3' of head pressure
And Im thinking of using four 3/4" return lines(already has two). bad idea?

I am thinking of drilling in between the two overflows with a 1" bulkhead near the bottom T-ing off that line into two 3/4 lines that would face the back of the tank, blasting the rock work..

I know.. vortech.. vortech.. Which I will add as well or even the Tunze 6105, not sure yet.

But does this sound like a bad idea...?

2) plumbing diameter.... The drain lines are 1" in the overflow with 3/4" returns to loc line.
I was thinking of using 1-1/4, in and out of the external pump, T'ed, feeding the 4 return lines as stated above. Or should I just keep everything 1" (drains and pump) 3/4" returns (x4). I hope this makes sense.

thank you !

john.m.cole3

cyclOps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How far from the bottom would you be drilling the 1" bulkhead

john.m.cole3

cyclOps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not too low. Probably 5"/6" on center . not too close to the bottom.
Even if you were to put a check valve on that line, I'd be worried about it failing and flooding my sump one day. I think you're better off with the 2 drains and 4 returns for filtration flow. For in tank flow it gets trickier placing rocks and powerheads.

Scott.h

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have the opportunity to do the plumbing now I would definetey go bigger in the lines. At some point you'll need a pump and you'll probably go adjustable dc. Also if you ever add more stuff and decide to run a manifold you'll have the volume. The only time I'd use 3/4 inch would be a frag tank or something similar. My current 90 has 2" with a dc pump ran at 60%. I'm really glad now someone here talked me into it.

OP
OP
ageno125

ageno125

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even if you were to put a check valve on that line, I'd be worried about it failing and flooding my sump one day. I think you're better off with the 2 drains and 4 returns for filtration flow. For in tank flow it gets trickier placing rocks and powerheads.
Very true.

OP
OP
ageno125

ageno125

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have the opportunity to do the plumbing now I would definetey go bigger in the lines. At some point you'll need a pump and you'll probably go adjustable dc. Also if you ever add more stuff and decide to run a manifold you'll have the volume. The only time I'd use 3/4 inch would be a frag tank or something similar. My current 90 has 2" with a dc pump ran at 60%. I'm really glad now someone here talked me into it.
thank you. Probably end up going 1.5". I love those DC pumps. that Eco Vectra on a closed loop looks awesome!

john.m.cole3

cyclOps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Marine pumps come in a variety of sizes concerning outlet diameter, while majority of aquarium returns utilize a 3/4 inch locline. Basically, I'd leave everything alone unless you are wanting to change the drain style. Is this a dual durso style drain?

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 129 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back