Plumbing questions

ReefZ1lla84

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Dec 22, 2018
Messages
689
Reaction score
145
What state or country do you live in
Washington
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
So I’m planning on setting up a 120 peninsula tank that will have two 1” over flows. I’m going to either run a 1 1/2” pipe connecting the two 1” drains that will flow down to my basement sump. There will be about a 9’ vertical drop and a 12’ horizontal run. For the return I have a jabeo 1800 that will be run either a 1” or 1 1/2” line back to the tank. Any suggestions or comments on how this will run or if I should run two separate overflow lines all the way to the sump? Thanks let me know what you think I’ll have pics to come.
 
I would stick with 2 seperate drains. 2 one 1” drains are not very big for that pump. A lot will depend on how much head you have on the return line. DC pumps are not the best for high head situations. While that pump is capable of 30’ of head the flow drops pretty significantly as head increases. If the return is a shorter run you may find the 1” drains are not big enough. How much ch flow you really end up with is going to really be affected by how you run your lines. I would use spaflex or ultraflex to avoid sharp bends and horizontal runs if possible. Usually you want your drains to be larger than your return is. I would try to do two 1.25 drains at least.
 
Ok thanks what about running a one 1 1/2” drain instead of two smaller ones?
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 9 27.3%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 11 33.3%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 7 21.2%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 3 9.1%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 11 33.3%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 8 24.2%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 15.2%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 9 27.3%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 15.2%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 5 15.2%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 7 21.2%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new