Plumbing Questions

paradizecityz

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Dec 5, 2020
Messages
227
Reaction score
118
Location
Richmond, TX
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally ordered a new sump and will be doing my first hard plumbing. I took off the flex hose and see this under my tank.

What kind of connection do I need to do hard plumbing?

also, I want like a quick connect off my tank and off my sump so I can remove, if necessary, is that a union that I need?

can I get these parts at local Home Depot/Lowes or do I have to order from Bulk Reef Supply/Saltwater Aquarium?

Thanks!

4E4CE594-76CD-466E-BCF1-3F33122C07A1.jpeg A742C30B-5399-4F23-9955-876E702C4001.jpeg
 
I think you’ll want to replace the bulkheads with slip joints to get your pvc fitted in there vs the barbed which you have now.
As far as a quick disconnect you can/should use unions through out your plumping so you can disassemble or replace prices down the road
 
I think you’ll want to replace the bulkheads with slip joints to get your pvc fitted in there vs the barbed which you have now.
As far as a quick disconnect you can/should use unions through out your plumping so you can disassemble or replace prices down the road

Ah darn, didn't want to mess with the bulkheads :(
Maybe I'll put a piece of vinly tubing from the bulkhead into pvc or is that even possible? lol
 
Ah darn, didn't want to mess with the bulkheads :(
Maybe I'll put a piece of vinly tubing from the bulkhead into pvc or is that even possible? lol
It's certainly possible... That's how I have my return pump plumbed. Should be fine as long as the clamp is tight. Don't use a metal one (clamp) though.
 
As a general idea, is this ok? Excuse my Microsoft paint skills lol

Tank setup.png
I'd do 45 degree elbows. Not sure you need 2 unions and doubt you'll have room for both. What kind of drain setup is it? You probably need a gate valve on the main drain
 
I'd do 45 degree elbows. Not sure you need 2 unions and doubt you'll have room for both. What kind of drain setup is it? You probably need a gate valve on the main drain
Please disregard the salt creep... I had a tiny leak.
 

Attachments

  • PXL_20220712_145040022.MP.jpg
    PXL_20220712_145040022.MP.jpg
    136.2 KB · Views: 67
No red flags, will you be using a gate valve to control your drain speed?

Completely forgot about that. Yes, will be adding in gate valve

I'd do 45 degree elbows. Not sure you need 2 unions and doubt you'll have room for both. What kind of drain setup is it? You probably need a gate valve on the main drain

Oh ok. I was just thinking 2 unions to remove from plumbing from main tank or from sump, might not be needed. Not sure what type of drain setup. 2 drains and 2 return lines. The store setup it up originally but I'm upgrading sump so wanted to try it myself

Tank setup.png
 
I agree the second union doesn’t seem to be necessary. Most dont glue that end of the pipe to their sump so it comes off again with ease.
 
I agree the second union doesn’t seem to be necessary. Most dont glue that end of the pipe to their sump so it comes off again with ease.

Understood. I tried taking out the current tubing and they glued it to the sump so I thought that's how it's supposed to be :anguished-face:
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 2 3.2%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 18 29.0%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 19 30.6%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 7 11.3%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 1 1.6%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 1.6%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 4 6.5%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 7 11.3%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 4.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new