plumbing screw up, need a little help

S.Pepper

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is metric plumbing so my sources to get new plumbing are limited.

I did the dry fit of everything and it looked good. What i didn't consider was the pvc was going to go into the fitting a little farther when it was glued. I used the wrong pvc pipe--the one i should have used was about 1/2" longer. And because of using the shorter pvc pipe, my gate valve hits the aluminum framing of the cabinet and won't allow the bulk head to seat properly.

I need to extend the pvc pipe from bulkhead to the gate valve by a 1/2 inch. My thoughts are to insert a union between the bulkhead and the gate valve. I found one at coralvue.com, but it says it's a "replacement union for Reef Octopus skimmers and reactors. Will this work? https://www.coralvue.com/metric-union-coupling-1918 And if it won't, any thoughts of what i can do other than trying to get replacement parts from the manufacturer.... which could be an issue.

This is 40mm pvc pipe.

thanks,

plumbing1.jpg plumbing2.jpg

OP
OP
S.Pepper

S.Pepper

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would just rotate the valve 90 degrees.

Sometimes one can't see the forest for the trees. thank you. I really wanted to be able to adjust it looking from the front of the tank, but this is more than a workable solution and a lot less hassle and money. Cheers!

W1ngz

Failed Padawan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both solutions work, a simple cut and glue in the 40mm union or dirt simple, turn the valve sideways. You'll still be able to reach it from underneath.

OP
OP
S.Pepper

S.Pepper

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both solutions work, a simple cut and glue in the 40mm union or dirt simple, turn the valve sideways. You'll still be able to reach it from underneath.

Now that i look at it, turning the gate 90 degrees is actually better. I'll be able to turn the valve from the side of the tank and see the overflow for adjusting.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 69 34.8%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 3.5%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 51 25.8%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 63 31.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.0%
Back