plumbing size help

icemountain

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I am setting up the plumbing on my rack system which has different-sized aquariums and different size pre-drilled holes. Some are drilled for a 1.5" drain and others for a 1" and 3/4" drain. My return pump is a controllable pump with a max of 3150gph. My total system volume will be about 440-480 gallons. I am shooting for something in between 2-5x turnover. Given the different-sized holes in the tanks, what size should I make the drain and the return? I know the drain has to be bigger compared to the return.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
In my LFS, I had 1" return lines and 1.25" overflows

zhenya

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you can sinc all those to (1) 1” drain and ...probably be fine. You would be close to siphon, but not quite there, or go in and out of siphon which will make your spouse and children stare at you with daggers (it’s SO loud).

I would personally plumb all sizes to a 1.5” return, and yes, use bushings to mate different size pipe. They sell “T’s” that are your pipe size and the off shoot is a reduced size.

If you want to feel very safe go with a 2” drain and plumb everything to that.

I push 2500gal/he...is but have all my 1” lines go different places. FWIW at that flow I only have one full siphon line and some others for catching the remainder overflow.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 161 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back