Plumbing the UV

jmatt

Just gettin' started. Again.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm getting ready to plumb the tank and have some questions, if yopu'd be so kind...

Here's what I'm dealing with: 2 x COR-20 pumps and a 40w UV servicing a 110 gallon tank with 2 returns.

If I have one pump feed one return, and the other run inline through the UV and then to the return, the latter will have less flow as dictated by the restricted flow for the UV to be effective. So the returns will be unbalanced.

Do I:

a) merge the flows before they get to the returns?
b) split the UV off on it's own parallel circuit (like a manifold), with flow to the UV restricted with a gate or ball valve, and then back into the return line further downstream
c) service both returns with one COR-20, and use the second COR-20 strictly for the UV, with it's output going into the sump return area

d) something else?

kados

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 COR20s also and a 50W UV. One COR20 is plumbed directly to one return line. The other COR20 runs a line through the UV and into the other return. They run independently from each other and at different speeds. No issues at all with this setup.

Screenshot_20221031-205437_Photos.jpg

OP
OP
jmatt

jmatt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I have my answer. Thanks!

Do you run the bulb 24/7 or have a controller switch it on for a few hours each day/night?

OP
OP
jmatt

jmatt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, so I know that I want to have the UV at an angle so any trapped air rises. Can I do something as seen in the pic, with the unit inline directly between the pump and the tank return?

Will my COR-20 have enough power to move water up and over the sump wall, through the UV and back into the tank?

How do I handle those funny angles in and out of the UV unit? I really don't want to use flexible tubing... is there some way to plumb this with PVC?

Uv placement.jpg

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, so I know that I want to have the UV at an angle so any trapped air rises. Can I do something as seen in the pic, with the unit inline directly between the pump and the tank return?

Will my COR-20 have enough power to move water up and over the sump wall, through the UV and back into the tank?

How do I handle those funny angles in and out of the UV unit? I really don't want to use flexible tubing... is there some way to plumb this with PVC?

Uv placement.jpg
Two things:

First: You so not need to run a crazy angle like that. The uv has the inlet and outlet on different sides. By simply rotating the entire unit forward or backward a few degrees you create a low entry and high output. That is why it is designed offset like it is. Even when mounted level this low/high offset will occur naturally with a slight twist of the uv body.

Second: If you do implement an angle using two 45 degree elbows back to back will allow you to create any angle needed that is between 0 and 90 degrees. Street elbows are best for this application.

OP
OP
jmatt

jmatt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
....By simply rotating the entire unit forward or backward a few degrees you create a low entry and high output. That is why it is designed offset like it is. Even when mounted level this low/high offset will occur naturally with a slight twist of the uv body.
I'm not quite sure what you're suggesting here,the words "rotating" and "twisting" are confusing me a little since the inlets are both on the same side of the unit and not adjustable in their orientation. But I want to understand...

Are you simply saying that the angle doesn't need to be quite so dramatic and can be more level? In what way should I twist the unit?

jmichaelh7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
I think your going with the best plan. One pump dedicated for the uv.

Suggestion - run the pump via apex to be at a flow rate for water clarity / algae during day. Change the flow at night for parasites 200-400gph depending on your manufacture. I know pentair and Aqua ultraviolet have different numbers.

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not quite sure what you're suggesting here,the words "rotating" and "twisting" are confusing me a little since the inlets are both on the same side of the unit and not adjustable in their orientation. But I want to understand...

Are you simply saying that the angle doesn't need to be quite so dramatic and can be more level? In what way should I twist the unit?
Uv placement.jpg

Sorry my words were kind of ambiguous.

See how the inlet and outlet ports are off Set from the center of the main tube?

Looking at your picture here the one on the left is flush with the back side of the main tube while the one on the right is flush with the front side of the tube.

So if you set that down flat on the ground, keeping the orientation that you have it in the picture. Now roll the entire unit back (away from you in the picture) even just a few degrees. The union connectors will both now be slightly angled back towards where your sump is.

By doing that now the right port is the highest point of the main tube. All of the air will flow to that point and out of the tube.

If you do the opposite and roll the unit towards you (away from your sump) then the left port becomes the high point.

You can do this "roll" up to 90 degrees but 22.5 OR 45 degrees is easiest to plumb in because the fittings are readily available.

Does that make more sense?

Hook it up with some soft tubing, a 5 gallon bucket and a pump and try it out. I think that you will be glad that you tried it out.

OP
OP
jmatt

jmatt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think your going with the best plan. One pump dedicated for the uv.

Suggestion - run the pump via apex to be at a flow rate for water clarity / algae during day. Change the flow at night for parasites 200-400gph depending on your manufacture. I know pentair and Aqua ultraviolet have different numbers.
I been wondering about that, if I can have the unit do double duty with the Apex. Thanks!

OP
OP
jmatt

jmatt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry my words were kind of ambiguous.

See how the inlet and outlet ports are off Set from the center of the main tube?
Gotcha, so the angle doesn't need to be so dramatic. I am toying with the idea of mounting it with clamps to the stand frame with a slight tilt upward toward the return.

OP
OP
jmatt

jmatt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, while I have some plumbing gurus on the line... I need to order my 1" bulkheads on the return and am assuming I'll use loc-line in the tank. Never having worked with it before, is loc-line a threaded product? I can't imagine them being glued permanently to the bulkhead.

So, assuming such, the bulkhead needs to be threaded, yes?

Apologies for being such a noob.

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use these clamps for mine. They are kind of expensive but way better than other options out there.

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, while I have some plumbing gurus on the line... I need to order my 1" bulkheads on the return and am assuming I'll use loc-line in the tank. Never having worked with it before, is loc-line a threaded product? I can't imagine them being glued permanently to the bulkhead.

So, assuming such, the bulkhead needs to be threaded, yes?

Apologies for being such a noob.
Correct you want your bulkheads threaded on the tank side. Loc line is not a threaded product but the adapter to the loc line is.

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes they do. I have a 25 and a 40 with the same mounts.
It must have been a different 40w uv because they are a little to big, I should have done some measurements I just went strait to ordering. I think I need to go down a size hopefully they take returns, your right they are not cheap....

Attachments

• 20221105_135810.jpg
    20221105_135810.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 52
  • 20221105_135736.jpg
    20221105_135736.jpg
    138.4 KB · Views: 46
  • 20221105_135724.jpg
    20221105_135724.jpg
    126.2 KB · Views: 40
Back