Plumbing to a distant sump

adamanthil

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm planning a new reef tank project with a ~100g display tank in my living room and a sump in the basement to allow for easy maintenance and auto water changes. I have the display tank location picked out, and am debating between two options for the basement "fish room".

There is an unfinished area of the basement directly beneath the tank that could work well for the sump. However, there are currently no electrical outlets or plumbing in that area, so I would need to have a utility sink and electrical circuit run to that spot to support the tank.

The 2nd option is to run the overflow and return plumbing across the basement to my existing laundry tub and put the sump there. The main advantages of this option are the existing sink and sewer lines. The other area does not have any close drains, so plumbing a new sink there would be a little more involved. The existing area is also where the floor drain is for easier spill cleanup. However, this would be a plumbing run for the overflow and return of around 40ft from the tank (about 32ft laterally and 8ft down from the 1st floor).

Would standard return pumps be able to support pipe runs this long? I'm also planning to run an APEX. Can APEX extension cords work over more than 30ft?

Thanks in advance for the input/advice!

Mr. Brooks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It can be done, but you’re right, you’ll need a powerful pump. One brand that comes to mind is abyzz. Expensive, but they make powerful pumps that can get the job done. If you want a quiet overflow, run two drain lines. Put a gate valve at the end of one to back the water up to the point where no air bubbles are sucked in, run the second pipe wide open as a backup.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Long drains and returns are quite doable. For the drains, make sure they always have a downward slope (even 1/2” per foot is fine). For the return, oversize the pipe (say 1 1/2”). You’ll likely need a pressure rated pump regardless. Something like a panworld would suffice.

foxt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm planning a new reef tank project with a ~100g display tank in my living room and a sump in the basement to allow for easy maintenance and auto water changes. I have the display tank location picked out, and am debating between two options for the basement "fish room".

There is an unfinished area of the basement directly beneath the tank that could work well for the sump. However, there are currently no electrical outlets or plumbing in that area, so I would need to have a utility sink and electrical circuit run to that spot to support the tank.

The 2nd option is to run the overflow and return plumbing across the basement to my existing laundry tub and put the sump there. The main advantages of this option are the existing sink and sewer lines. The other area does not have any close drains, so plumbing a new sink there would be a little more involved. The existing area is also where the floor drain is for easier spill cleanup. However, this would be a plumbing run for the overflow and return of around 40ft from the tank (about 32ft laterally and 8ft down from the 1st floor).

Would standard return pumps be able to support pipe runs this long? I'm also planning to run an APEX. Can APEX extension cords work over more than 30ft?

Thanks in advance for the input/advice!
welcome to R2R!

I have done this twice. You will need to do some math to determine which size pumps will work in either option. Start by deciding what flow rate you want for the DT. Then calculate the head loss for each return config, assuming certain pipe sizes. You most likely will need to upsize pipe diameter for the longer return run. Once you have a rough idea of the difference in head loss between the two options you will know the approx cost differential for return pumps. My guess is that it will be cheaper and easier to run the sump in the existing area, but you will need a much larger pump/pipe size.

OP
OP
adamanthil

adamanthil

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone for the input! That is super helpful. I'll do some further research and calculations.

pdxmonkeyboy

Sticks!! Give me the sticks!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would suggest a reeflow pump. Very high quality and they make models for low flow and high pressure which is what you will need.

Given the head that these pumps can put out I don't think you will need a large diameter pipe for a return. There is not that much loss from friction.

I have a reef flow hammerhead and it is a BEAST. It pushes like 5,000 gph with 12 foot of difference between pump and tank.

Lastly, you will not need a big drain line if you are running a full siphoned bean animal type. A 1" line in a full siphon with 10 foot of fall will EASILY pull 3,000 gph, if not more. My 1 1/2" drain on my basement sump was like 1 turn open.

Sounds like a cool.project

Good trouble: Have mushrooms ever become pests in your aquarium?

• Mushrooms would never be pests even if they kept replicating.

Votes: 7 15.6%
  • Mushrooms have not become a pest for me.

Votes: 16 35.6%
  • Mushroom have become overgrown, but not to the point of becoming pests.

Votes: 9 20.0%
  • Mushrooms have become pests in my aquarium.

Votes: 13 28.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back