Plumbing with flexible PVC?

Gp!

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone ever used flexible PVC with success in an aquarium? I've never used it so investigating.

It would simplify my overflow plumbing but I am not sure if it would be a good choice as it doesn't pass nsf-61. I also like the idea of it for absorbing some vibration.

Here is an excerpt from flexpvc.com - they do state it passes nsf-51:

The flexible pvc pipe can not get an NSF61 rating because if water sits in the pipe overnight, it will pickup a plastic taste and in order to get an NSF61 rating, it can't alter the taste (that's one of the criteria.)

rusty hannon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone ever used flexible PVC with success in an aquarium? I've never used it so investigating.

It would simplify my overflow plumbing but I am not sure if it would be a good choice as it doesn't pass nsf-61. I also like the idea of it for absorbing some vibration.

The flexible pvc pipe can not get an NSF61 rating because if water sits in the pipe overnight, it will pickup a plastic taste and in order to get an NSF61 rating, it can't alter the taste (that's one of the criteria.)
That statement about vwater sitting and transferring taste concerns me. I use blk food grade rubber piping and use sump lines for that part, they really get rid of vibrations. Don't use clear like I did only to replace due to algae growth in line. Totally f.g.b. p. completed yesterday. Good luck n happy reefing

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

If the pipe is transferring a taste, it is clearly leaving something in the water that wasn't there before. We take so make steps to control the water quality coming in. I have no desire to add something that is going to instantly leech unknown chemicals back into my water.

OP
OP
G

Gp!

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the pipe is transferring a taste, it is clearly leaving something in the water that wasn't there before. We take so make steps to control the water quality coming in. I have no desire to add something that is going to instantly leech unknown chemicals back into my water.

Probably right. This was in my head but I guess was hoping someone would say they tried it and had an awesome reef or the taste went away after a few months =P

Malcontent

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Silicone tubing is used in food service. Beverage machines and the like.

Joe31415

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This was in my head but I guess was hoping someone would say they tried it and had an awesome reef or the taste went away after a few months
I'll volunteer you to run this test. Report back to us weekly with any changes in the taste of your marine aquarium water and let us know how long it takes to go back to tasting like water that has been used in a tank with standard PVC.

OP
OP
G

Gp!

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll volunteer you to run this test. Report back to us weekly with any changes in the taste of your marine aquarium water and let us know how long it takes to go back to tasting like water that has been used in a tank with standard PVC.

That was the joke =P

OP
OP
G

Gp!

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Silicone tubing is used in food service. Beverage machines and the like.

I didn't mention it but I will be using 2" plumbing so I don't think I will be able to use silicone tubing

Malcontent

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't mention it but I will be using 2" plumbing so I don't think I will be able to use silicone tubing

Maybe one of these then:

Malcontent

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used flex PVC as part of my water change piping but water doesn’t sit in the flex sections. It worked really well in that It glues just like regular pvc and the flex gave me leeway in terms of fitting and cutting down on vibraction

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have about 75 feet in my system. Spa Flex from home depot. I dont think it has hurt anything.

I haven't tasted my water though.

38bill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have use flex PVC for years. I appears that it is rated something like this:

IAPMO & NSF-51 listed - FDA certified non-toxic

OP
OP
G

Gp!

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have use flex PVC for years. I appears that it is rated something like this:

IAPMO & NSF-51 listed - FDA certified non-toxic

Awesome ever run into any problems with it?

OP
OP
G

Gp!

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have about 75 feet in my system. Spa Flex from home depot. I dont think it has hurt anything.

I haven't tasted my water though.

75 feet is probably more than I would end up using. Great data point! Thanks

38bill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome ever run into any problems with it?
No problems but it will start to become harder and less flexible with age. If noise is an issue you may want to include a short piece of silicon tube between the pump and the PVC .

FYI: I use flex PVC for 90 deg bends if I have the room. Much less restriction than 90 deg elbows.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 73 51.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 72 51.1%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.5%
  • None.

Votes: 31 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.4%
Back