Plz help not sure if cyano or dinoflagellates

Duez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had no luck dealing with what ever this is before i start using chemicals. I turned up lights for pick my ph is 8.3-8.4 0 ammonia 0 nitites 10ppm nitrates and i am getting a little phosphates but barly any calc is 440-450 dkh 10 dont have mag test i have tested every day for a week only have had blues on since i started seeing it. I have a silica tester tank reads 0 i do use a rodi and have a tds 26 going in 0 coming out but did just replace all filters and membrane Plz offer help peroxide im on day 4 still no change skimmer is running and put a air stone just incase
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately that looks like Dino.

Take a turkey baster or power head, blow it off all corals and rock, let it settle, clean all mechanical filtration. If it reappears in 5-6 hours it's probably Dino.

OP
OP
Duez

Duez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
image.jpeg
This is build up on my sock filters i cange ever 4 day right now

OP
OP
Duez

Duez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately that looks like Dino.

Take a turkey baster or power head, blow it off all corals and rock, let it settle, clean all mechanical filtration. If it reappears in 5-6 hours it's probably Dino.

I have been and yes it does blow off then come back

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what worked for me, no scientific data to back it up.

No water changes, raised pH with the use of kalkwasser, total and complete black out for 4 days (clams and sps did fine). Did the turkey baster routine each day and cleaned mechanical filtration. Resumed a 2-3 hour lighting schedule, as soon as the bubble strings started to develop lights out, rinse and repeat.

Dino almost made me leave the hobby, and that is saying something.

I believe the use of Amino Acids was the culprit initially. So no addition of supplements.

Hang in there, you can beat it, it's just not easily done.

Good Luck

OP
OP
Duez

Duez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have read on them a ton 3 days light off they came back i use perocide on day 4 5ml a day i have u.v sterilizer not on should i run it? My sand bed is 3 inches i water change on avg 14-17 days i have 3 jeboa rx 15 running my fish are ticked about

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can not address the use of peroxide, perhaps Brandon will see the thread and address that. I would continue to use the UV, I would discontinue water changes though.

OP
OP
Duez

Duez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what worked for me, no scientific data to back it up.

No water changes, raised pH with the use of kalkwasser, total and complete black out for 4 days (clams and sps did fine). Did the turkey baster routine each day and cleaned mechanical filtration. Resumed a 2-3 hour lighting schedule, as soon as the bubble strings started to develop lights out, rinse and repeat.

Dino almost made me leave the hobby, and that is saying something.

I believe the use of Amino Acids was the culprit initially. So no addition of supplements.

Hang in there, you can beat it, it's just not easily done.

Good Luck

Its not to bad yet but i dont want it to go crazy so 4 day full black out or lights on for 2 hours each day and my ph is already pretty good but i can raise it more if needed

OP
OP
Duez

Duez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
image.jpeg
Full tank shot keep in mind i have only had blues on for 4 days and not that much and just turkey bastered everything

Wiz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
:-( It's going to be rough. But it is beatable don't give up

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried to maintain a pH in the 8.3 range. I did the black out and then initiated the short photo period. It took about 2 weeks until I saw no return of the dino, each day I would lengthen the photo periods and as soon as those bubbles started to develop the lights went out. IME you have to do a lights out for at least 2-3 days.

I dealt with Dino for about 6 weeks, it killed all my zoanthids, I tried Purigen, Chemipure, water changes until the cow came home and no improvement.

This is my personal experience with Dino, results may vary.

OP
OP
Duez

Duez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its not to bad yet but i dont want it to go crazy so 4 day full black out or lights on for 2 hours each day and my ph is already pretty good but i can raise it more if needed

I tried to maintain a pH in the 8.3 range. I did the black out and then initiated the short photo period. It took about 2 weeks until I saw no return of the dino, each day I would lengthen the photo periods and as soon as those bubbles started to develop the lights went out. IME you have to do a lights out for at least 2-3 days.

I dealt with Dino for about 6 weeks, it killed all my zoanthids, I tried Purigen, Chemipure, water changes until the cow came home and no improvement.

This is my personal experience with Dino, results may vary.

I will give that a shot full 3 day black out with blues on for 5 min to feed fish and the a slow rise on light over 3-4 days, raise ph and turkey baster everthing everyday as soon as i see bubbles foruming right now ill go full back

OP
OP
Duez

Duez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I leave my skimmer going 24-7 on fast fill so i change it every 2-3 days

Wiz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I would go straight blackout no interruptions. I did mine for 5 days no interruptions black as can be and still came back

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So basically this tank is a FOWLR tank and a few hardy corals? If so than yeah I would not hesitate for one second about a total black out of 3-4 days, my tank was sps dominated. Dino will eventually burn it's self out, and you can proceed that way since you really have a small amount of corals. Your fish will be fine with a black out. Dino can be extremely toxic to fish in high enough concentrations so keep that in mind.

OP
OP
Duez

Duez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I would go straight blackout no interruptions. I did mine for 5 days no interruptions black as can be and still came back

I dont think my fish will make it 5 days with out food??

Wiz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought the same thing but they did even with 5 days. I gave them a healthy feeding the day before I did it. And by that I mean I fed little bit and watch them eat it all day
I dont think my fish will make it 5 days with out food??

Wiz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just my experience though. You should definitely follow your own thoughts

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 26.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 33 36.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 27 29.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 6 6.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back