PO4 source found… unlikely cause

Cflow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So over there last few weeks my PO4 climbed to 0.25-0.5 for no apparent reason. I left for a couple of days and figured maybe my auto feeder went crazy when in was gone, so I cleaned my sump well and decided to put brand new filter sock in place. PO4 stayed the same. I started carbon dosing a little more aggressively and even added phosban. I figured this would take care of it. Nope. I had recently added a tang. Maybe it was eating any algae so quickly that PO4 has no where to go. Doubt it. Most of my acros look very bad. The only thing that I had changed was I was adding seachem garlic guard to keep my tang “ healthy “. Well it may have helped my tang with its slight ich infection. It’s so fat and healthy. Today I decided to test the garlic oil with a little tank water. Resulted as blue as possible. Probably off the chart. Then I tested tank water alone and was 0.25. Still high but not higher than 1.0! Now I just have to figure out how to get PO4 slowly. Dinos would ruin me at this point. The tank looks great though with high PO4. No algae. No cyano. No dinos.

ninjamyst

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You get dino with 0 nitrate and phosphate...so the opposite of what you have =P. And I doubt garlic oil will raise your tank phosphate much unless you are adding too much or too often. And garlic oil doesnt help with ich infection.

OP
OP
C

Cflow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You get dino with 0 nitrate and phosphate...so the opposite of what you have =P. And I doubt garlic oil will raise your tank phosphate much unless you are adding too much or too often. And garlic oil doesnt help with ich infection.

Thanks but you misinterpreted the posting. I know this information.

OP
OP
C

Cflow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After running phosban for a few days and doing about a 25% wc po4 is finally down to 0.05. I obviously stopped the garlic guard. I kept feeding as usual. I just hope the change wasn’t too much for some of my acros.

Back