Pocillopora reproduction

i_declare_bankruptcy

out of control
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lesson learned. Don't put it in your tank.

I like Pocillopora because of the growth and the way it looks but dang... I grew a tiny frag to a nicely sized colony without realizing that it has been reproducing this whole time. When I moved the colony to my new 240g tank it took off even more. During dusk lighting (blue lights) I remember seeing these funky glowing green dots on my rock and not being sure what they were. Well, fast forward a few months and those dots have become the beginnings of pocillopora frags taking off. They are EVERYWHERE like bubble algae!!! I didn't know it was going to be like this!

Don't put this stuff in a big tank :(

Spieg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the same experience. Will never put this coral in my tank again.

Cali Reef Life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lesson learned. Don't put it in your tank.

I like Pocillopora because of the growth and the way it looks but dang... I grew a tiny frag to a nicely sized colony without realizing that it has been reproducing this whole time. When I moved the colony to my new 240g tank it took off even more. During dusk lighting (blue lights) I remember seeing these funky glowing green dots on my rock and not being sure what they were. Well, fast forward a few months and those dots have become the beginnings of pocillopora frags taking off. They are EVERYWHERE like bubble algae!!! I didn't know it was going to be like this!

Don't put this stuff in a big tank :(
This just happened in my tank I just noticed them today! I am not mad though think of it in the postive aspect of an aqurist acutal being able to asexually reproduce in an artificial environment. Maybe more manageable in an 90ish gallon range tank.

TKCorals

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had the same situation happen in my tank. Started with a small frag didn't know any better and then it ended up in multiple locations.

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Poccillopora are brooders and release larva that are ready to settle avoiding the pelagic stage where filtration and other animals feeding will remove them. Seems to me a good thing, if the frags are in the way they can be sold. If needed a frag or small colony could be killed with a little H2O2

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 50 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 30 21.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 7.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 37 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back