Pods and fuge placement

LadyTang2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm considering adding a fuge for my first large build, never had one before with my tiny tank. I've read many people grow pods and they make it to DT as food for fish. But I see fuges being placed before the skimmer and even before socks and the pods are being pulled out I'm assuming, so these people are using them only for eating detritus in the fuge?

Why wouldnt you want to place the fuge last so they can go through return to DT and serve 2 purposes as detritovores in fuge and food for fish? If the fuge is places first do they make it into other part of sump and eat detritus there everywhere in the sump? Surely a sock will pull them out? Thanks!

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm considering adding a fuge for my first large build, never had one before with my tiny tank. I've read many people grow pods and they make it to DT as food for fish. But I see fuges being placed before the skimmer and even before socks and the pods are being pulled out I'm assuming, so these people are using them only for eating detritus in the fuge?

Why wouldnt you want to place the fuge last so they can go through return to DT and serve 2 purposes as detritovores in fuge and food for fish? If the fuge is places first do they make it into other part of sump and eat detritus there everywhere in the sump? Surely a sock will pull them out? Thanks!
Some have water drains from fuge that bypass some water from skimmer. If you have good pod population and enough space I’m not sure a skimmer will hurt that much.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

That's how my setup is, its filter sock, skimmer, fuge, and then return pump. Fuge is packed with pods that make their way up via the return pump :)

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t use socks on every tank.. IMO detritus has to go somewhere and it always collects and settles out in the same spot ...I take advantage of that and purposefully direct my flow to aid in manual removal .... a far easier deal than sock monitoring, washing and replacement .... any food that makes it to the sump is food for pods. ....

image.jpg

eschaton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A lot of people argue that putting a fuge "upstream" is actually a better idea, because it's much less likely to pulp pods on the way to the display tank. That pretty much leaves you with only a HOB option or trying to work out a secondary display tank, which is always kind of awkward.

A surprising amount of livestock can survive dealing with impellers however. In my freshwater tanks I'm always surprised at how many shrimp end up living in the canister filters, and as babies they are about the size of a pod.

A bigger concern I would think is how few of them are the right size to get scooped back up by the return pump to begin with, particularly if you keep the foam sponge block in, since many pods are large enough to not be sucked through the sponge holes easily.

OP
OP
L

LadyTang2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can both copepods and amphipods grow and do well in a dedicated refugium tank? I always hear people talking about copepods but less about amphipods in fuges. Any other useful creatures that do well in dedicated fuges?

eschaton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can both copepods and amphipods grow and do well in a dedicated refugium tank? I always hear people talking about copepods but less about amphipods in fuges. Any other useful creatures that do well in dedicated fuges?

Amphipods grow very well in fuges. They're like the cockroaches of marine tanks. One of the first things that crawls out of live rock after curing, and breed very well as long as you give them a place to hide away from fish.

Mysis also does well in fuges, but my experience has been that you're more apt to have to introduce Mysis, because they don't really hitchhike in on rocks quite as much.

OP
OP
L

LadyTang2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So they also are in the rocks, do they live in the sand at all?

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't witnessed it...or maybe I have since I can't seem to find any of the million pods I've introduced, lol. But many say the amphipods actually feast on the copepods! So if raised together, the amphipod colony expands! I started with tons of amphipods... maybe that's why i can't find any copepods now!

OP
OP
L

LadyTang2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds as though most people advocate using refugiums as place for pods to grow.

What if any, are the downsides the having pods in a fuge, or in a system in general? Even if you are a fan, any negatives at all?

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 59 73.8%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 10 12.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 7.5%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back