Pods through return pump

plumbdogmillionaire

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Nov 7, 2025
Messages
72
Reaction score
35
Location
alabama
What state or country do you live in
Alabama
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’m making an external gravity fed refugium for my AIO reef tank and I can’t decide if I should run the return drain to the display or return pump chamber. I don’t want to run it to the display because I don’t think it would look best aesthetically, and it would make it annoying to take the tank lid on/off. My actual question is, would enough pods be killed by the return pump that it wouldn’t be worth it to run the drain into that chamber?

I know most tanks have an in-sump refugugium chamber down below which obviously means pods going through the return pump. But having the option of not doing that is making me unsure.
 
My actual question is, would enough pods be killed by the return pump that it wouldn’t be worth it to run the drain into that chamber?
No, send em’ through the pump!

— I’ve had a 1” long juvenile mosquitofish survive unscathed after being sent back up to the display via the return pump in my freshwater system!

— an uncle of mine had his orchard’s aquaponic irrigation pond overrun by invasive carp after the fry were pumped in from the adjacent communal irrigation trenches! (They subsequently killed off the catfish, smallmouth bass, and crawfish the pond was initially stocked with…)
 
Surface tension is their friend. Most all of them will travel through like Agustas Gloop, unharmed and fat and happy at the other side.

Well I am not sure if Agustas was happy, but you get the point.
 
My actual question is, would enough pods be killed by the return pump that it wouldn’t be worth it to run the drain into that chamber?
No, send em’ through the pump!

— I’ve had a 1” long juvenile mosquitofish survive unscathed after being sent back up to the display via the return pump in my freshwater system!

— an uncle of mine had his orchard’s aquaponic irrigation pond overrun by invasive carp after the fry were pumped in from the adjacent communal irrigation trenches! (They subsequently killed off the catfish, smallmouth bass, and crawfish the pond was initially stocked with…)
Thank you
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HOW DO YOU USUALLY MOVE WATER DURING A WATER CHANGE?

  • Buckets

    Votes: 1 20.0%
  • A siphon or gravel-vac hose

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A pump and hose

    Votes: 1 20.0%
  • A dedicated mixing station

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A plumbed or automated system

    Votes: 1 20.0%
  • A combination of these

    Votes: 2 40.0%
  • Whatever container is clean at the time

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Water changes? We don't need no stinkin' water changes!

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new