Poll: are emerald crabs fish safe?

Poll: Are emerald crabs reef/fish safe?

• Yes. I've had them before with no problems.

Votes: 492 67.0%
  • No. I've had them before and can safely say they have killed healthy fish.

Votes: 47 6.4%
  • Never had one - too scared of the horror stories.

Votes: 86 11.7%
  • None of the above.

Votes: 109 14.9%

• Total voters

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I added 3 emerald crabs to my 50 gallon tank ( for bubble algae) and 3 days later my yellow multibanded pipefish turned up missing.
The pipefish was my favorite fish and I had it in my 50 for 1-1/2 years.
I figure it must have grabbed it when it was sleeping and close enough to the rock structure to grab it.
A few zoanthid frags turned up missing with in a few weeks too. I found the cleaned off frag plugs back in the rock.

A few years later I tried them again for my bubble algae problem and the only fish in the tank was a desjardini tang.
They did a good job of cleaning out the bubble algae and had no problems this time.

Bouncingsoul39

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never had them go after corals but this what I do just in case: I buy the absolute smallest ones I can find. Like nickel size. They are great for bubble algae. Once they get to about quarter size, maybe a little bigger, I would donate them to the LFS. My theory is that the smaller ones will be hungry and growing which is good for CuC, but have less potential for trouble making than the big ones.

Reefaddict1979

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put 20 in my 265 to combat bubble algae problem I used to have. I actually bought a rock with a beautiful chalice on it for almost free only thing is it was covered with bubble algae. 20 crabs and one rabbitfsh later and no bubble algae. Never seen them attack anything. And I agree this crab just isn’t capable of attaching a healthy fish.

CNDReef

Formally Toomanyfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe all crabs are opportunistic scavengers. As long as they’re eating they’re fine. If they don’t get there helping one day they’ll find it somewhere.

mckinney0171

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put 20 in my 265 to combat bubble algae problem I used to have. I actually bought a rock with a beautiful chalice on it for almost free only thing is it was covered with bubble algae. 20 crabs and one rabbitfsh later and no bubble algae. Never seen them attack anything. And I agree this crab just isn’t capable of attaching a healthy fish.
yup they are slow as can be. easy to catch too if you have to break up an emerald crab duel which I have in the past.

Reefaddict1979

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe all crabs are opportunistic scavengers. As long as they’re eating they’re fine. If they don’t get there helping one day they’ll find it somewhere.

Of course they have claws. If hungry they can use them. But in a mature aged tank there should be plenty of algae and detritus for them to eat So they shouldn’t be a problem. I have no algae in my main tank. I mean if I put a rock covered in hair algae, my tangs and snails will pick it clean in 1 night. And still I see my crabs picking st rocks all day long. So they must have better eyes than me because they see algae lol

C-Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a bryopsis outbreak so I got two in my 20 long. They cleaned it up fast, great CUC. Ate lots of algae and leftover food. I did find if you didn't feed them or they ran out of food they'd pick at my LPS, but that was rare. They both died very mysteriously about 2 weeks apart. Idk why as everything else was healthy.

mckinney0171

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I too have had emeralds disappear and I believe it is mostly them killing each other over territory. Seems to me when I buy four or five of them I always end up left with just one big one at the end.

ReefAddiction34

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a bryopsis outbreak so I got two in my 20 long. They cleaned it up fast, great CUC. Ate lots of algae and leftover food. I did find if you didn't feed them or they ran out of food they'd pick at my LPS, but that was rare. They both died very mysteriously about 2 weeks apart. Idk why as everything else was healthy.
Favia poisoning.... j/k

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had an emerald crab, no issues. I think as long as their well fed, they leave stuff well enough alone.

tastyfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have three emeralds, of various sizes in my tank (provided the pistol shrimp hasn't had them all).

They really helped rid the tank of a bubble algae problem and never touched a coral or another invert.

CNDReef

Formally Toomanyfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Of course they have claws. If hungry they can use them. But in a mature aged tank there should be plenty of algae and detritus for them to eat So they shouldn’t be a problem. I have no algae in my main tank. I mean if I put a rock covered in hair algae, my tangs and snails will pick it clean in 1 night. And still I see my crabs picking st rocks all day long. So they must have better eyes than me because they see algae lol
This is where I think a problem comes into play. You obviously have a large tank sinc you have multiple tangs, the OP has a 21 gallon tank that most likely will have about 20 lbs of live rock. How quickly do you think one crab could go through that rock?

mostlysticks

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish? No way. Corals? Yes, that's a definite possibility. I had one that was a terror to acros. Yes, he was well fed.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have two in my 75 going to get some more. Never bothered anything and half of the time I can’t find them. I forget about them and there are waving and picking rocks. I believe they do it just to annoy

Reefaddict1979

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is where I think a problem comes into play. You obviously have a large tank sinc you have multiple tangs, the OP has a 21 gallon tank that most likely will have about 20 lbs of live rock. How quickly do you think one crab could go through that rock?

Emerald crabs typically do t wander too far in a tank anyway. Plus I wouldn’t advise putting 20 crabs into his tank but 2 in an aged 21 gallon would. Be ok

ArowanaLover1902

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had good and bad, some that are zoa eating pests, some that seem to never eat any of my pest algae, and others who keep the tank algae at a minimum and cohabitate peacefully with all the inhabitants, I think it depends on the crab

Kmsutows

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LFS suggested going with just female emeralds and I gotta say I completely agree with their suggestion. They don't get nearly as big and the few I've had in my reef haven't been caught doing any damage

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw this mentioned once or twice, but these are not detrivores... they cannot eat poo. They need real food.

Ghxst

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lots of bad stories are crabs sold as and misidentified as emerald crabs. There are many creatures in the sea, some look alike.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 20 16.0%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 56 44.8%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 43 34.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.4%
Back