Poll: Are You Ready to Travel?

Going Somewhere for Thanksgiving? Are You Ready?

• No - staying home this year

Votes: 387 68.9%
  • Yes - My tank is automated

Votes: 83 14.8%
  • Yes - Mostly automated but I have a tank sitter as a backup

Votes: 41 7.3%
  • Yes - I have a reliable tank sitter

Votes: 16 2.8%
  • Yes - I'm just winging it in hopes the tank will be fine

Votes: 33 5.9%
  • I have a webcam to keep an eye on things

Votes: 40 7.1%
  • I wish I had a webcam to keep an eye on things

Votes: 40 7.1%

• Total voters

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Happy Thanksgiving! Given we are going in to a long holiday weekend and many of us travel to see family for Thanksgiving, curious to know what plans people make for their tanks during their absence. Do you have a tank sitter? Are you fully automated? Combination of both? I wrote an article a while ago about traveling with some tips and advise. It can be found here.

I wish all safe travels and a very happy Thanksgiving.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Luckily all my family live within a 50-mile radius so I don't have to travel far to see any of them so I don't really need anything to take care of the tank as we're usually no longer gone more than a day

clownfish chris

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not traveling far. I am ready though with knowledgeable and fully capable tanksitters @bump3rb33tl3 as well as a RKE to keep an eye on things. I also have the ac and furnace controllable remotely.

Christmas is where I am going to be gone a while.

Syed123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everything is automated except for refilling the 5 gallon bucket with RODI water (Lasts 5-6 days) and feeding the fish. Luckily my brother owes me a favor haha.

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Family lives in the same town. I drive 5 minutes up the road to my great aunt's house then eat all I can, and then I eat some more. My tank will be fine for the few hours I'm stuffing my face, I hope.

Last edited:

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am traveling out to the garage fridge and bringing the turkey into the house. Two more elements and my system will be fully automated, Just need the auto water change and auto feeder.

OP
OP
dbl

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everything is automated except for refilling the 5 gallon bucket with RODI water (Lasts 5-6 days) and feeding the fish. Luckily my brother owes me a favor haha.

First, welcome to R2R. Just as an FYI, if your ATO pump is easily accessible, you can always set up a larger "temporary" reservoir while you're away. Until recently (prior to building a 30+ gallon reservoir) I used to do this very thing. I would set up a large container with top off water near the sump. Fill it, put the ATO pump in it, and climb on the plane.

Dragon52

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd love to have a fully auto system but can't afford at this time. I fill the ATO tank & add a little extra to the return side of my sump & it's fine until I get home, lasts 7 days & an auto feeder, lights are time based.

Bruce Burnett

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i use an auto feeder and have a large ATO. Calcium reactor. I can go for up to two weeks and have. I am partially automated but nothing like an Apex

CamG

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am Canadian.... That's why you guys get all the small turkeys. We already ate the big ones...... ;Chicken;Chicken;Chicken ;):)

EriksOasis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not staying home per se just in the area for a day or so. Tank has ato and lights on time so I’m all set. I would t leave the tank for more than a week anyway.

Syed123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First, welcome to R2R. Just as an FYI, if your ATO pump is easily accessible, you can always set up a larger "temporary" reservoir while you're away. Until recently (prior to building a 30+ gallon reservoir) I used to do this very thing. I would set up a large container with top off water near the sump. Fill it, put the ATO pump in it, and climb on the plane.

Thank you for the welcome. :)

Hmmm yes I could do that. I should get one of those big brute pharma grade tubs from work. Thanks for the tip. :D

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 115 77.7%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 11 7.4%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 20 13.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back