Poll: Converting people to the hobby? How many?

How many people are you responsible for bringing to the "dark side"

Votes: 208 41.7%
  • 1-2

Votes: 191 38.3%
  • 3-4

Votes: 49 9.8%
  • 4-5

Votes: 12 2.4%
  • 6-9

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • 10+ spreading love for this hobby is a full-time job!

Votes: 38 7.6%

• Total voters

rck329

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a close friend who had freshwater tanks when he was a kid. I've been working on him for 3 years, no dice. He see's all the work I put in and wants nothing to do with it. I keep telling him "you can do FOWLR easy! Don't worry about the corals for now" I may have to end up just giving him a tank! LOL

Jeff_Toronto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I stumbled into hobby a month ago or so.... you mean I can't just dump my fish into this thing once i fill with water? But I added some salt, I'm ok right? And what's this nonsense about maintenance? I have to do stuff after? And what's a qt? Should I have done that with my tang before I put him in the 32g? Why does it look like he is covered in spots and he is swimming funny ? That normal?

I haven't converted or dragged anyone in yet but once I started found out three people at the office have tanks, both salt and fresh.

pagoda1958

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree, the biggest thing that scares people off is the cost and the time involved. they love to look at it but that's it. And that's ok, if its not their thing, to each his own. I react the same way when a buddy tries to get me to get into golfing. spending $1000 plus on clubs and $80-$100 on greens fees each time to me is to much money. like I said to each his own. I get it. Ive been in the hobby for 51 years and don't think Ive ever talked anyone into it (ive tried) I'm in it for my enjoyment and when friends come over they enjoy it also and that's great.

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious to see how many of you have converted friends or people local to the hobby. I feel like I am a big cheerleader for this hobby, and I am constantly (without realizing it sometimes) trying to find local people to share my passion with.

For me, it's one. @HotRockTarBaby is a local friend and he jumped in to this hobby HARD! Red Sea Reefer 750 XXL, quarantine tank, rock and coral quarantines, and he learns FAST. It's nice to have someone local to help (because no one else has the patience for this hobby that isn't in it or understands), to bounce ideas off of, trade with, etc.

He's a bad influence to me too, tells me we are buying Gem tangs in December 2018!

I know some people "sell" lots of people on this hobby, how many people have you "converted?"

It's all your fault! It's definitely nice having someone five minutes away that has everything you need! Your the one that taught me everything. For sure gem tangs! Come on December!

OP
OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's all your fault! It's definitely nice having someone five minutes away that has everything you need! Your the one that taught me everything. For sure gem tangs! Come on December!
Buddy Gem tangs... I have a LONG way to go for that this year! Not the 2018 I had hoped for! Haha!

OP
OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looking at the results of this poll and the replies, I'm starting to think we all try to spread the love!

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 2 5.9%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 28 82.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 8.8%
Back